Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail Messages printing out too small

On a MacBook Pro running Catalina, I have a problem printing mail messages: no matter how large the screen font is selected, If I print the message it always comes out with an unreadably small font. This mismatch only happens in the Mail app; printing from other apps gives me WYSIWYG when printed.

Do I have a corrupted Mail app?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 19, 2021 6:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 22, 2021 6:36 AM

It appears that there is something specific to Mail, but there could be some interaction with the specific printer driver used.

First, try in Safe Mode to see if the problem persists.

If not, then the problem does not lie in Mail and running the diagnostic tool Etrecheck may help. Please run Etrecheck and post its full report here. Use the "additional text" button and paste the report into the text box.

If the problem persists even in Safe Mode, then let us know. There are a few more things we can try.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 22, 2021 6:36 AM in response to leroydouglas

It appears that there is something specific to Mail, but there could be some interaction with the specific printer driver used.

First, try in Safe Mode to see if the problem persists.

If not, then the problem does not lie in Mail and running the diagnostic tool Etrecheck may help. Please run Etrecheck and post its full report here. Use the "additional text" button and paste the report into the text box.

If the problem persists even in Safe Mode, then let us know. There are a few more things we can try.

Jul 21, 2021 8:44 AM in response to Mark A Ficek

Mark A Ficek wrote:

On a MacBook Pro running Catalina, I have a problem printing mail messages: no matter how large the screen font is selected, If I print the message it always comes out with an unreadably small font. This mismatch only happens in the Mail app; printing from other apps gives me WYSIWYG when printed.

Do I have a corrupted Mail app?

What happens if you scale up to 200% ...(?)

Jul 21, 2021 1:37 PM in response to Mark A Ficek

Mark A Ficek wrote:
On a MacBook Pro running Catalina, I have a problem printing mail messages: no matter how large the screen font is selected, If I print the message it always comes out with an unreadably small font.

If I set the scale to 200%, it enlarges the text but truncates it.

Ok, set it to 150%... and test.

They do sell reading glasses for exactly this purpose

Mail Messages printing out too small

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.