Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sudden duplicates of volumes (10.13.6)

Hi there, my MacPro 5,1 (10.13.6) ran smoothly until a few day ago. Emptying trash with only a few Kb took a minute and then I noticed that my Nvidia prefpane was missing in the top toolbar. The Cuda prefpane was accessible in the prefpanes but the Nvidia Driver Manager wasn't. Investigating further and I then noticed that most of my connected volumes got copies. The original volumes got an 1 behind their names.

After some searching I found this thread: https://superuser.com/questions/657295/osx-duplicated-and-re-numbered-my-drive-in-volumes

I went through the process and now only my startup volume shows up as an alias in /Volumes but not on the desktop. I can control click and Show Original. The symptoms described above are still there. Here's the EtreCheck report:

How can I fix this? TIA Edit: typo.

Posted on Jul 20, 2021 3:06 AM

36 replies

Jul 20, 2021 9:48 AM in response to Server rookie

You might have it backwards, symptom happens when the OS looses track of where your drive is, might be failing drive....

In Finder's Menu, select Go menu>Go to Folder, and go to "/volumes". (no quotes)

Volumes is where an alias to your hard drive ("/" at boot) is placed at startup, and where all the "mount points" for auxiliary drives are created for you to access them. This folder is normally hidden from view.

Drives with an extra 1 on the end have a side-effect of mounting a drive with the same name as the system already think exists. Try trashing the duplicates with a 1 or 2 if there are no real files in them, and reboot.

If it does contain data...

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2474

Jul 23, 2021 2:12 AM in response to BDAqua

Here's what I did

1. Did a SMC reset (machine off mains for over 15 mins).
  2. Booted in Safe Mode.
  3. Disabled iCloud drive.
  4. Restart in normal mode.
  5. Created a TextEdit document and saved on desktop. Still says ‘retrieving...’ instead of ‘staff’.
  6. Logged out.
  7. Logged in as TestUser.
  8. Nvidia Driver Manager not available.
  9. Created a TextEdit document and a Pages document and there was no option to save it on the Desktop.
  10. Logged out.
  11. Logged in on main user account.
  12. Nvidia Driver Manager not available.
  13. Back to square one.

Any thoughts?

Jul 20, 2021 1:25 PM in response to Server rookie

EtreCheck is a FREE simple little diagnostic tool to display the important details of your system configuration and allow you to copy that information to the Clipboard. It is meant to be used with Apple Support Communities to help people help you with your Mac. It will not display any personal info.

https://www.etrecheck.com/

Pastebin is a good place to paste the whole report if you capture the URL while there…

https://pastebin.com/

Whew, they've changed pastebin & made it harder, but after pasting in, click Create new paste button, then Embed button, then copy the URL...

<script src="https://pastebin.com/embed_js/KuvnghqA"></script>

The important part of the above is...

https://pastebin.com/embed_js/KuvnghqA

Workable but harder for me to work with...the Note tool on the bottom of this editor's toolbar, as shown in the image, to copy and paste the output from EtreCheck. In a Reply before you click post, look for this to add longer texts...

Jul 20, 2021 1:15 PM in response to BDAqua

Thanks DB Aqua. In the /volumes folder all drives show up under their normal name, so no ‘1’ attached to any name. And they have their pull down triangle in front of them. Except for the startup volume, that is shown as an alias. So, if I understand correctly, that looks like it should look. I already did a reboot as the article I read had advised.

The past few days I did a lot of copying and deleting of huge chunks (20+ gb) on this ssd. Maybe I should run TechToolPro for some diagnostics. Since this issue I every now and then I loose my pointer and have to blindly hit the top menu bar to get it back. I never had this issue before, so my observations could be inaccurate.

I will look into that kb-article and maybe perform those terminal commands as well.

Jul 21, 2021 1:20 AM in response to BDAqua

Thanks BDAqua. In the meantime, I ran TechTool Pro 11 from an emergency disk which of course is not able to handle apsf and after that ran DiskUtility. No real issues were found but the problem is still there. The machine boots a little bit faster but that's it. Here's the new link to the EtreCheck report.

https://pastebin.com/embed_js/2Euq3jWA

Another thing I found out is that the Wacom software can interfere with the Nvidia drivers.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/geforce-graphics-cards/5/215071/unable-to-open-nvidia-driver-manager-el-cap-gtx-/

I acted on the advice given there but that didn't solve the issue regarding the Nvidia Driver Manager.

Jul 21, 2021 1:59 AM in response to BDAqua

Thanks BDAqua. TTP didn't mention RAM issues. I ran the suite first before moving to Tools. I also zapped P-Ram. Would EtreCheck give different results if the initial question was different? At startup you can choose an issue you want to have diagnosed. I choose ‘Computer is too slow’ over ‘Other’.

As for speed, I don't really have a reference. But it made quite a difference when I moved to ssd's. The videocard keeps me on 10.13 but would like to move to 10.14 for Creative Cloud upgrades I currently can't use but do pay for.

Jul 21, 2021 4:02 AM in response to BDAqua

Thanks BDAqua. Sorry for having those mixed up. The machine seems to behave more stable after what I've done. So far, no more pointer glitches but removing a tiny document (just a few Kb) from the trash still takes about half a minute. So somewhere the pathways are still not ok I guess.

The only thing I can think of is a few years back I had a "staff" permission issue on this machine. This was partially resolved, meaning on some files in the Info-panel it says "retrieving..." where it should say "staff". But other that that the machine worked fine. Could that be somehow related?

Jul 22, 2021 1:19 PM in response to Server rookie

Have you tried disabling iCloud Drive & getting your files back on board yet?

Maybe...

To find out if it's system wide or user specific, try this...

Open System Preferences>Users & Groups, unlock the lock, click on the little plus icon, make a new admin account, log out & into the new account.

Does it work in the new account?

Jul 26, 2021 4:44 AM in response to BDAqua

Thanks BDAqua for sticking with me. So far I'm in the remaining 10% camp.

I ran the 10.13.6 updater again and did a restart. Still a slow machine and the Nvdia Driver Manager not supported. Then I ran the security update 2020-005 in which it STILL hangs for about 2 hours now. The screen is black with only the pointer visible. I clicked on the top end and bottom end screen in the hope to activate something and switched the screen on and off for the same reason. Not a fan of giving a hard reset (especially during security updates) but for now it's the only thing I can think of.

Jul 26, 2021 11:42 AM in response to BDAqua

Bit the bullet and switched the machine off and booted in Safe Mode. SoftwareUpdate said I needed to reboot in order for the Security Update 2020-005 to take effect. And here things get weird. After a restart the screen remains black with only the arrow pointer visible. I tried to reinstall 10.13.6 from a flashdrive (which went ok) and a manual install of the Security Update which also hangs. Somehow the machine can't get passed this update. I tried to install Security Update 2020-006 but was rejected. It needs the installation of 2020-005 first. Any ideas?

Sudden duplicates of volumes (10.13.6)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.