Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Use my old 27 inch mid 2011 imac as a second screen

I just bought the new Mac Pro 13 m1. I want to use my old 27 inch mid 2011 imac as a second screen. His OS is High Sierra 10.13.6. I connected the 2 Mac like I red, thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt 2. But command F2 on the iMac doesn't enter display. What is wrong ?

MacBook Air 13″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jul 20, 2021 8:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 20, 2021 8:09 AM

What is wrong ?

The M1 Mini.

The last Macs that could use an older iMac as an external monitor were the 2019 models. M1 Mac are not supported.

In spite of the vacuous and misleading drivel about iMacs as monitors that appeared on work-from-home web sites when COVID hit, Apple started the deprecation of Target Display Mode in Late 2014 and threw the last shovel of dirt in its face in early 2020.

A dedicated external monitor will allow both mirrored and extended desktop, and use far less energy.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 20, 2021 8:09 AM in response to stefta

What is wrong ?

The M1 Mini.

The last Macs that could use an older iMac as an external monitor were the 2019 models. M1 Mac are not supported.

In spite of the vacuous and misleading drivel about iMacs as monitors that appeared on work-from-home web sites when COVID hit, Apple started the deprecation of Target Display Mode in Late 2014 and threw the last shovel of dirt in its face in early 2020.

A dedicated external monitor will allow both mirrored and extended desktop, and use far less energy.

Use my old 27 inch mid 2011 imac as a second screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.