Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrade of computer and use of Backup Disk

Makusuto posed this question, but I would like to reframe it.

I had a MacBook Pro (mid-2012, Retina display). I backed it up using Time Machine on a G-Drive (8TB capacity). There is available space on it.

I upgraded my computer because I needed to run Big Sur, so I purchased a MacBook Pro (late 2020, M1), and decommissioned the old MacBook Pro (requiem in pace, old friend). Now, I want to use the G-Drive for my Time Machine backups. In plugging the drive in, and opening Time Machine, I am provided the option to … "Claim Existing Backups", "Start new Backup", "Decide Later", because the old backups on the drive were created by my old MacBook Pro.

Apple does not provide info as to what specifically occurs if one were to choose any of the three options. If the first, will my new machine be able to access the old backups (as the older machine is completely erased and returned to Apple, no other machine could access them)? If the second, would the new machine backups erase the old, and start anew)? If the third, what happens if I were to start using the drive to back up my new machine?

Thanks.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jul 20, 2021 11:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 20, 2021 11:15 AM

If your new Mac inherits your backup history

See if this Apple document will help. Personally I'd opt for inheriting as it will let you restore files from the previous back-ups that you might not have on your new M1.

2 replies

Upgrade of computer and use of Backup Disk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.