Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Blocking Group Texts

My family uses Android phones / iPhones. Certain members repeatedly post QAnon messages in a group chat with this mixed bag of phones.

I have blocked said family member, but still get their messages in the group chat.

I would like to request a feature to block a specific group chat - hiding notifications isn't enough; I run a business and my text messages and notifications are important. When I see a number indicating that text messages were sent to my phone - you can imagine my repeated frustration when they're QAnon and not work-related.

And I'm not worried about blocking my entire family's chat - that's fine; they can and continue to message me one-on-one when messages directly pertain to me.

Thanks

iPhone 11

Posted on Jul 20, 2021 3:08 PM

10 replies

Jul 21, 2021 8:06 AM in response to shawesome

You are misinformed on a few points.

1. I don't work for Apple. No one on this user to user only forum works for Apple
  2. Apple has absolutely NO CONTROL over SMS text messages. They are entirely controlled by your cellular provider
  3. No one is passing the buck, when the buck in this instance lies with your cellular provider

If you're not happy about this, complain to Apple directly. Doing so here, gets you nothing as again, this is a user to user only forum.

Jul 21, 2021 7:07 AM in response to lobsterghost1

No - As I understand it, yes the group texts are coming via the cellular provider, but your OS is responsible for my notifications and curating that data to notify me;

You're passing the buck. And I call shenanigans.

Your software can absolutely accomplish what I and others in my situation need.

If you really think Sprint will code a solution - when they don't have an OS or established software platform or developers to address the issue when Sprint is primarily a hardware/telecom company, then you're just not acknowledging reality and don't want to help me with my problem.

Should I just buy android for myself and my employees? Or wait for a cellular provider who doesn't care to do anything in my interest? This is some bullshit. No cookies for you. What a complete waste.

Also, when has Sprint EVER written code to implement a suggestion from a customer - like this... or ever? I really don't expect them to help.

Jul 21, 2021 8:06 AM in response to shawesome

Also, sprint.com doesn't exist anymore because they merged with T-mobile. When you try to access sprint.com, users are redirected to t-mobile.com instead. So, when I went to setup a similar post, the t-mobile site wouldn't allow me to set up an account because, "I don't register as having a t-mobile number".

I've since asked my family to remove me from the chat - but trust, there's extended family on said chat, and I will probably NEVER stop getting notifications; we're not very tech-savvy as a group. :(

Don't you think this would be easier to solve easier via Apple's software? Where we could remove ourselves whenever we need/want to?

I just know this is a wanted feature - I'm going nuts here.

Jul 21, 2021 8:10 AM in response to shawesome

What link would I need to go to escalate this or bring it to apple's attention? I would be happy to tell them. I just don't know the correct channels.

Also, I don't understand how they could not be aware since this site is a subdomain on their apple.com domain server, but either way, would you let me know the link where I can create a post?

Blocking Group Texts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.