Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

nano 3

I got an old iPod nano 3g to use in my car. The previous owner did not delete his podcasts from it and I can't figure out how to do that. I've searched online for into, but all the instructions for this I can find refer to using iTunes. I'm on a new MacBook Air and running Big Sur, which does not have iTunes, just separate Music and Podcast apps. The device shows up in my music app but not the podcast app, and I can't figure out if there is some way to just delete the podcasts directly on the iPod.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jul 20, 2021 6:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 21, 2021 2:35 PM

Wet Baloney,

After deselecting them, click on 'Sync.' If it's deselected, that means it will not sync any items to the iPod nano and should remove the other items from there.

If you're still having issues, reset the iPod by going to 'General' on the Finder screen then clicking 'Restore.'

This will remove everything from the iPod nano and then you can sync over the items you want back to it.

Take care.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 21, 2021 2:35 PM in response to Wet Baloney

Wet Baloney,

After deselecting them, click on 'Sync.' If it's deselected, that means it will not sync any items to the iPod nano and should remove the other items from there.

If you're still having issues, reset the iPod by going to 'General' on the Finder screen then clicking 'Restore.'

This will remove everything from the iPod nano and then you can sync over the items you want back to it.

Take care.

Jul 21, 2021 12:30 PM in response to Wet Baloney

Hello Wet Baloney,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities. We understand wanting to remove items from a device and will explain.

On Big Sur, podcasts are manually handled and synced through Finder, not the Podcasts app: Sync podcasts between your Mac and iPhone or iPad

Try removing podcasts from there but unselecting it in Finder then doing a new sync.

Thanks and have a great day.

Jul 21, 2021 2:11 PM in response to Nicholas_B2

I followed the instructions in the Apple Support article you provided a link for. It does not provide a solution. In the picture below you will see what appears to be on the iPod when I select "podcasts" on the device. There is a list of podcasts I assume were put there by the previous owner:

Per the instructions: "

"In the Finder on your Mac, select your device in the sidebar, then select Podcasts in the button bar."

"In the podcast list, deselect the checkbox of the podcast you want removed."

This makes no sense because when I select the iPod in Finder and then select the Podcasts tab, the only podcasts which show are the ones from my Mac, not the ones on the iPod. The screenshot below illustrates this:

I do NOT want to synch the podcasts from my Mac onto the iPod. I only want Music on my iPod, nothing else. How can I get rid of the podcasts which are already on the iPod so that I will have room for more music?

nano 3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.