Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No administrator on IMac

I have no administrator on my mac, how do i reset it, to add a administrator

iMac 27″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jul 20, 2021 9:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 21, 2021 12:02 AM

Welcome to Apple Support Communities.

If you are the only user, you are the Administrator. To check, go to System Preferences > Users & Groups. It will say what type of user you are.

See Image: If you are the only user, and it does say "Standard", something is very corrupted and you need to erase and re-install macOS: How to erase an Intel-based Mac - Apple Support and How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support. However, first backup your files somewhere. If you are using Time Machine to backup, post erase, DO NOT restore from the backup with Setup Assistant. It will restore the issues. Rather, setup the Mac as "new", then read: If your new Mac inherits your backup history - Apple Support, then finally, Restore items backed up with Time Machine on Mac - Apple Support.

-Jack

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 21, 2021 12:02 AM in response to ezfix

Welcome to Apple Support Communities.

If you are the only user, you are the Administrator. To check, go to System Preferences > Users & Groups. It will say what type of user you are.

See Image: If you are the only user, and it does say "Standard", something is very corrupted and you need to erase and re-install macOS: How to erase an Intel-based Mac - Apple Support and How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support. However, first backup your files somewhere. If you are using Time Machine to backup, post erase, DO NOT restore from the backup with Setup Assistant. It will restore the issues. Rather, setup the Mac as "new", then read: If your new Mac inherits your backup history - Apple Support, then finally, Restore items backed up with Time Machine on Mac - Apple Support.

-Jack

No administrator on IMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.