Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Capsule 3Tb Error Code: 92 on iMAC Catalina 10.15.17

This problem has plagued me for the last few months and all the previous reports of it on here appear to be over 12 months old, but I can't find a solution listed, so either the problem has been solved or everyone has given up with Time Capsules, even if the later, it'd be good to know.

I have 2 TCs, configured with static IP addresses, as is the iMAC I'm trying to backup and have tried both independently and combined, they both report the same error 92.

If I clear down the backup snapshots in Terminal with "tmutil deletelocalsnapshots /" it creates a new backup and maybe does one of two snapshots, then it's back to error 92.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 21, 2021 1:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 21, 2021 6:27 PM

Ok.. Fusion drive.. hmmm.. I would definitely go Carbon Copy Cloner (super duper is another popular one but less capable) and just see if you end up with the same issue.. Due to change from HFS+ to APFS in Catalina and then Big Sur.. APFS is not recommended on old spinning rust drives.. I think it can be a whole lot of factors.. The backup to Sparsebundle is still formatted HFS+ so errors and reliability with Time Machine/Time Capsule combo are fairly common.

At least CCC will give you a chance to see where things are going wrong.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 21, 2021 6:27 PM in response to MrH_UK

Ok.. Fusion drive.. hmmm.. I would definitely go Carbon Copy Cloner (super duper is another popular one but less capable) and just see if you end up with the same issue.. Due to change from HFS+ to APFS in Catalina and then Big Sur.. APFS is not recommended on old spinning rust drives.. I think it can be a whole lot of factors.. The backup to Sparsebundle is still formatted HFS+ so errors and reliability with Time Machine/Time Capsule combo are fairly common.

At least CCC will give you a chance to see where things are going wrong.

Jul 21, 2021 1:47 AM in response to MrH_UK

This could be an issue on the Mac.

Since both TC are giving the same error at the same time that would make sense. If you need to delete the local snapshot for the Time Machine backup to proceed it might be important to know how much free space you have on the main drive of the iMac.. perhaps which year it is would also be a help.

I strongly recommend to people to download and use Carbon Copy Cloner.. it at least has a decent Knowledge Base and sensible error messages. It is free to use for a month so give it a go. You can create a folder on the TC and backup to a sparse bundle in the same way that time machine works.

Time Capsule 3Tb Error Code: 92 on iMAC Catalina 10.15.17

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.