Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What happens when you unselect ”Copy Files to iTunes Media Folder When Adding to Library” on a mac?

Basically I have 0 storage on my HD and low and behold I find this folder on my HD that’s called “iTunes Media Folder” and is 18 GB!

Is that folder just a duplicate of everything that’s already in my iTunes?

If I unselect that “Copy Files to iTunes Media Folder When Adding to Library” will it automatically delete the contents of the “iTunes Media Folder” on my drive?

If so, what are the implications of that? I’m assuming everything that I have in iTunes / in that iTunes Media Folder is associated with my AppleID since I’ve always had the same one — and, in the event I wanted anything back, could I just redownload somehow from the cloud?

TLDR I need to free up space and if I can pull everything back down from the cloud if/when I want it again, why not just cut the 18 GB from that folder?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jul 21, 2021 6:12 AM

4 replies

Jul 21, 2021 9:03 AM in response to Yer_Man

That is VERY helpful -- thank you!!!!

Two remaining questions:

1. Roger that on moving my music library to an external HD. Do i just plug in the external HD, and drag and drop that "iTunes Media" folder to copy it over?
  2. After the iTunes Library is on the external HD, how do I delete it from my Mac (i.e., clear up those 18GB of space)? Just delete the entire folder?

Just want to confirm the best way to go about these steps so I don't mess anything up.

Thank you again for your help!!

Jul 21, 2021 6:17 AM in response to WhatIsACloud

Is that folder just a duplicate of everything that’s already in my iTunes?

That is the material you have in iTunes.

If I unselect that “Copy Files to iTunes Media Folder When Adding to Library” will it automatically delete the contents of the “iTunes Media Folder” on my drive?

No, it just means nothing will be added to it automatically in the future.

If so, what are the implications of that?

It means, going forward, that any music you add to iTunes you will take responsibility for the file management.

if I can pull everything back down from the cloud if/when I want it again, why not just cut the 18 GB from that folder?

You want to solve the problem only to re-create it again?

OS X needs about 10 gigs of hard drive space for normal OS operations - things like virtual memory, temporary files and so on. 

Without this space your Mac will slow down as the OS hunts for space on the disk, files will be fragmented, also slowing things down, apps will crash and the risk of data corruption - that is damage to your files, photos, music - increases exponentially. 

Your first priority is to make more space on that HD. Nothing else can be done until you do. 

Purchase an external HD and move your Photos and Music to it. Both iPhoto and iTunes can run perfectly well with the Library on an external disk.

That's the safest and least destructive method of reclaiming space.

What happens when you unselect ”Copy Files to iTunes Media Folder When Adding to Library” on a mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.