Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

lost text message stream

I think I accidentally deleted texts from a contact, in any event they're gone. I've restored from two different backups on my iphone, and they do not reappear. One from the day they disappeared, and one 3 days prior. So they are not in backup, even though I've selected imessages to be included in backups. From an icloud signon on my PC, I do not see an imessage icon, so that is not a possibility.

Now I'm reading in an apple support doc that imessages are just "in the cloud" but not included in backups. So why is there a selection to include them in the icloud settings?

But more importantly is there any way to get that contact's stream back?

iPhone 7, iOS 14

Posted on Jul 21, 2021 1:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 21, 2021 1:50 PM

numbermom8 wrote:

I think I accidentally deleted texts from a contact, in any event they're gone. I've restored from two different backups on my iphone, and they do not reappear. One from the day they disappeared, and one 3 days prior. So they are not in backup, even though I've selected imessages to be included in backups. From an icloud signon on my PC, I do not see an imessage icon, so that is not a possibility.
Now I'm reading in an apple support doc that imessages are just "in the cloud" but not included in backups. So why is there a selection to include them in the icloud settings?

When you select message in icloud settings that means you're doing this Use Messages in iCloud - Apple Support which is not included in the back up as outlined here What does iCloud back up? - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 21, 2021 1:50 PM in response to numbermom8

numbermom8 wrote:

When you select message in icloud settings that means you're doing this Use Messages in iCloud - Apple Support which is not included in the back up as outlined here What does iCloud back up? - Apple Support

lost text message stream

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.