Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Homepod Wifi incompatible

Team -- Another crappy Mac installation -- so I got a Homepod ... but have spent the last two hours trying to get around the Wifi incompatible error (You would think that Apple would address this but no .....) -- so I have used the turn off auto join and auto login on the iphone wifi settings -- no luck ---- I have tried going from WPA2 to WPA/WPA2 mode -- no luck. Frankly I am about to send this piece of crap back to Apple .... so any other ideas on how to do setup (I have also tried setting it up as an accessory via the Home application ... nothing works)

iPhone 8 Plus

Posted on Jul 21, 2021 1:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 23, 2021 8:28 AM

Fixed it -- I have Access Control set on my Netgear Router -- when I turned it off, I was able to complete setup -- this is really stupid Apple. Most "smart" people turn access control on within their router to prevent people from accessing their network. I would recommend that either you fix this OR perhaps document it so that other do not need to spend hours troubleshooting.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 23, 2021 8:28 AM in response to turingtest2

Fixed it -- I have Access Control set on my Netgear Router -- when I turned it off, I was able to complete setup -- this is really stupid Apple. Most "smart" people turn access control on within their router to prevent people from accessing their network. I would recommend that either you fix this OR perhaps document it so that other do not need to spend hours troubleshooting.

Jul 22, 2021 7:05 AM in response to architectscott

The switch in your router is labelled Allow guests to see each other and access my local network. Sometimes there is a parallel option for the primary network too. If you've set up the guest network and your iPhone has the logon credentials for it then you would want to enable that option for your guest network. Clearly returning the HomePod is also an option.

tt2

Jul 23, 2021 11:11 AM in response to architectscott

It doesn't help that router manufacturers have about half a dozen ways to refer to the same feature. Typically guest networks are isolated and primary networks are not, so that your own wireless clients can communicate with their peers as well as the Internet, while guests just get a tunnel to the Internet. Glad to hear you got there in the end.

tt2

Homepod Wifi incompatible

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.