You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What about detecting V Fib or tachycardia on an Apple watch?????

What about detecting V Fib or V Tachycardia on an Apple watch?????

Posted on Jul 21, 2021 3:59 PM

7 replies

Jul 21, 2021 10:54 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

It would be nice some day to get to the point where we can alert folks before they get to that point of no return. My husband died at 55 before Apple watch or anything like it was developed. He dropped dead quickly after about 15 minutes. There was no way to save him with out a defibrillator on scene at 0400. My son was the only one there and he did call 911....TOO LATE, He was gone. It was just a thought. I have thought about all the things you guys do with all this 50 years ago and were working on how to do it. As many others were probably thinking about the new touch screens etc. way back we take for granted.

Jul 21, 2021 4:24 PM in response to cindysbiggs

Apple watch only detects afib.

• The ECG app cannot detect a heart attack. If you ever experience chest pain, pressure, tightness, or what you think is a heart attack, call emergency services immediately. 
  • The ECG app cannot detect blood clots or a stroke.
  • The ECG app cannot detect other heart-related conditions. These include high blood pressure, congestive heart failure, high cholesterol, or other forms of arrhythmia.  

Jul 21, 2021 4:35 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

If a person of some knowledge of cardiac monitors notices inconsistent changes or feeling in their chest and sees hat there are irregularities ,They may want to stop what they are doing and sit down FIRST. YOU can always call 911 if you are in V Fib passed out and dead. I also think you are trying to discount my question and make light of it.

Cindy Biggs R.N. ( ER)

Jul 22, 2021 10:44 AM in response to cindysbiggs

Apple has continued to innovate in the field of wearable technology and being able to get approvals for the Watch to do many things as a medical device. I have no doubt that they are always thinking ahead, but we will never know until it is announced. I remember as a law enforcement officer and first responder how great it was when we got our portable defibrillators in the squad cars. My wife is an ER nurse as well, and we all know there are times that even with a defibrillator on site it won't help. I also know about the loss. My grandfather woke up one night and said to his wife he didn't feel right and was gone before she could even get to the phone. I see medical technology for our children and grandchildren to be way beyond what we could have imagined as we grew up. Have a great day.

What about detecting V Fib or tachycardia on an Apple watch?????

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.