Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

filter failed error on canon MG6120 (wireless printing from MacBook Air)

The problem started after I temporarily added another printer. Now, my regular printer (Canon MG6120) does not print pdf files (filter failed error). I have removed all printers and reinstalled the MG6120, but the problem remains. Anybody know how to fix this?

MacBook Air

Posted on Jul 22, 2021 11:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 22, 2021 9:24 PM

Hi,

Did you reset the printing system (according to the following article) and re-add the printer? Try again. Check whether the operating system suggests a suitable driver.

Reset the Mac printing system to solve a problem - Apple Support

Add a printer on Mac - Apple Support

BTW, the latest drivers for this model from the Canon support page seem to be from 2017 (for macOS Sierra 10.12). These may or may not work even with a few later operating systems as well. Which printer driver are you trying to use? The 2017 file from the printer manufacturer, or possibly third-party software (such as the experimental Gutenprint MG6120 driver)?

You mentioned wireless printing. If the MG6120 is wirelessly connected to a router, you could of course try Ethernet (the printer connected to one of the LAN ports of the router) or USB (direct connection to the computer), but it will probably not change anything in this case.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 22, 2021 9:24 PM in response to mike6120

Hi,

Did you reset the printing system (according to the following article) and re-add the printer? Try again. Check whether the operating system suggests a suitable driver.

Reset the Mac printing system to solve a problem - Apple Support

Add a printer on Mac - Apple Support

BTW, the latest drivers for this model from the Canon support page seem to be from 2017 (for macOS Sierra 10.12). These may or may not work even with a few later operating systems as well. Which printer driver are you trying to use? The 2017 file from the printer manufacturer, or possibly third-party software (such as the experimental Gutenprint MG6120 driver)?

You mentioned wireless printing. If the MG6120 is wirelessly connected to a router, you could of course try Ethernet (the printer connected to one of the LAN ports of the router) or USB (direct connection to the computer), but it will probably not change anything in this case.

Jul 24, 2021 12:16 PM in response to Jan Hedlund

Jan, thank you for helping me. Yes, I reset the printing system according to the article and re-added the printer (did it again today), but the problem persists.

I now also looked at the printer related files in Library/Printers/Canon/ and found that there are many files there that have the date Jul 2, 2021, which is when I did the temporary install of another printer. None of the files there have any of the later dates when I've reinstalled the MG6120. I suspect the files from Jul 2, 2021 may be corrupted. Is there a re-installation protocol that updates those files?

filter failed error on canon MG6120 (wireless printing from MacBook Air)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.