Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch & steps

My Apple Watch doesn’t accurately count steps when pushing a cart. I walked nearly thee hours shopping while pushing a cart and it tracked 300 steps. Now I’m slow, but not that slow. I carry my phone too, but it’s in my purse hitchhiking a ride in the cart, so not helpful. Is there a way to track more accurately when pushing a cart?

Posted on Jul 22, 2021 8:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 22, 2021 8:06 PM

The only way the watch can count your steps is by how (and how often) you swing your wrist with the watch on it. If you hold on to a cart or the handrails of a treadmill (for example) it will not count your steps accurately. I encounter the same problem when I mow the lawn.

See the "Make sure that you earn Move and Exercise credit" section in:

Get the most accurate measurements using your Apple Watch - Apple Support

You should also make sure your watch is calibrated:

Calibrating your Apple Watch for improved Workout and Activity accuracy - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 22, 2021 8:06 PM in response to AuntCam

The only way the watch can count your steps is by how (and how often) you swing your wrist with the watch on it. If you hold on to a cart or the handrails of a treadmill (for example) it will not count your steps accurately. I encounter the same problem when I mow the lawn.

See the "Make sure that you earn Move and Exercise credit" section in:

Get the most accurate measurements using your Apple Watch - Apple Support

You should also make sure your watch is calibrated:

Calibrating your Apple Watch for improved Workout and Activity accuracy - Apple Support

Apple Watch & steps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.