Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airplay problems on ipad

My ipad can suddenly no longer detect Apple TV on AirPlay, although all devices are on the same network and using latest OS. I have tried all the suggested fixes but still get the “no devices detected” when I try to cast Netflix or You Tube to the TV. Grateful for any advice.

Apple TV HD, tvOS 12

Posted on Jul 22, 2021 8:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 23, 2021 4:53 AM

Issues with AirPlay and AirPrint are often associated with the WiFi Router/network dropping, or not correctly forwarding, mDNS traffic on the local network. Very often, if these features were originally working, a simple restart of network components will resolve the problem.

You’ll need to restart your network devices in the correct order. Assuming that your WiFi Router provides DNS services for your network, restart devices in this order - allowing time for devices to fully boot/restart prior to restarting other devices:

• WiFi Router
  • Upstream wired Network Switch(es)
  • WiFi Access Points / Network Extenders
  • Other fixed infrastructure devices - such as Printers
  • Client devices (iPad, iPhone, AppleTV etc.)

Restarting your iPad, after restarting other devices in the correct sequence, is most simply achieved by a forced-restart of the iPad:

• On an iPad with a Home button: Press and hold the top button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.
  • On an iPad with Face ID: Press and quickly release the volume up button, press and quickly release the volume down button, then press and hold the top button. When the Apple logo appears, release the button.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 23, 2021 4:53 AM in response to chrisfromwellington

Issues with AirPlay and AirPrint are often associated with the WiFi Router/network dropping, or not correctly forwarding, mDNS traffic on the local network. Very often, if these features were originally working, a simple restart of network components will resolve the problem.

You’ll need to restart your network devices in the correct order. Assuming that your WiFi Router provides DNS services for your network, restart devices in this order - allowing time for devices to fully boot/restart prior to restarting other devices:

• WiFi Router
  • Upstream wired Network Switch(es)
  • WiFi Access Points / Network Extenders
  • Other fixed infrastructure devices - such as Printers
  • Client devices (iPad, iPhone, AppleTV etc.)

Restarting your iPad, after restarting other devices in the correct sequence, is most simply achieved by a forced-restart of the iPad:

• On an iPad with a Home button: Press and hold the top button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.
  • On an iPad with Face ID: Press and quickly release the volume up button, press and quickly release the volume down button, then press and hold the top button. When the Apple logo appears, release the button.

Jul 26, 2021 1:43 AM in response to chrisfromwellington

If AirPlay is working consistently across devices for at least one external service, then AirPlay itself is working. as such, your problem is not Airplay. I presume that, regardless of AirPlay, you cannot stream the problematic content directly to your iPad and other devices.

Has your router configuration recently been changed - or if your Router/Modem is supplied and remotely managed by your Internet Service Provider, have they recently updated the firmware? Given your additional information, suspicion shifts to the router/modem and your internet service provider.

If you have subscribed to a commercial VPN service, you might try using the VPN as a diagnostic tool. The objective here is to attempt to route streaming services past any ISP issues.

If you don’t have a VPN subscription, whilst I am normally hesitant to recommend using a “free” VPN service (as free VPNs generally rely upon advertising and traffic/data mining to finance their services), you might try using the hide.me VPN App from the App Store:

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/hide-me-vpn/id953040671

This commercial VPN service is trustworthy - and is nominally financed by subscription. It has a generous “free” tier with which to test the service and its capabilities, although the free service is limited in the regional endpoints through which to route your connection. That said, it should be more than adequate to test many streaming services such as YouTube; Netflix and some others may be less successful. If you can, choose a regional VPN server closest to you.

Jul 28, 2021 12:46 AM in response to LotusPilot

Thanks again for your detailed advice. However I have just discovered that the problem is with Netflix. It no longer supports Airplay, presumably because of some larger tiff with Apple. It’s a shame that neither Netflix nor Apple have publisiized this change, as I am sure it has affected many people. But thanks again for your suggested remedies.

Airplay problems on ipad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.