Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV and AirPlay 2

I have few doubts. Please help me out.

1. If I purchase the latest Apple TV 4K, should I purchase a 4K TV with AirPlay 2 built-in or can I buy any 4K TV?

2. If I purchase a 4K TV that doesn't have AirPlay 2 built-in with the latest Apple TV 4K(the Hardware) and connect them, can I still mirror my iPhone, iPad or Mac with that TV that doesn't have AirPlay 2 built-in?

3. I don't know the difference between Apple TV 4K(The Hardware) and the Apple TV app in some TV's. For example, TV's of Samsung Q900 series (2019) have Apple TV app built-in and also have AirPlay 2 built-in. So, If I purchase any TV of this series, is it necessary for me to buy the Apple TV 4K(The Hardware)?

Apple TV

Posted on Jul 23, 2021 8:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 23, 2021 9:05 AM

The Apple TV 4K box brings AirPlay 2 receiving capability to any connected TV.

1. If you have an Apple TV 4K box, then any AirPlay capability of the TV itself would be redundant functionality.
  2. Yes you can.
  3. See my comparison here: Apple TV app vs. Apple TV box - Apple Community The Apple TV box would give you additional features, and user experience, which you may or may not find important (enough) in your buying decision.
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 23, 2021 9:05 AM in response to Ricky1647

The Apple TV 4K box brings AirPlay 2 receiving capability to any connected TV.

1. If you have an Apple TV 4K box, then any AirPlay capability of the TV itself would be redundant functionality.
  2. Yes you can.
  3. See my comparison here: Apple TV app vs. Apple TV box - Apple Community The Apple TV box would give you additional features, and user experience, which you may or may not find important (enough) in your buying decision.

Apple TV and AirPlay 2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.