Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos libraries issue since Mac update

Hello,

Since Big Sur 11.5 update and I can't access to my photos libraries on my external drives even when I try to repair them:

2 SSDs (ExFat) SAMSUNG T5: error message 4302

HDD LaCie Firewire : error message 4302

I have no problems when I create a library on the internal drive but as soon as I move it to an external drive it doesn't work anymore.

The problem also persists on another user session.

Would you have an idea other than reinstalling the system?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Mac mini, macOS 11.5

Posted on Jul 23, 2021 3:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 23, 2021 11:00 PM

Hi

Are the external drives correctly set up for using with a photos library? I notice that at least one of your libraries is on an ExFat drive. That is not a compatible location for a photos library, and more recent MacOS versions are much more fussy about this. You will need to move the libraries to a compatible volume, and hope that they have not been unrecoverably damaged.

It must be formatted APFS or MacOS extended (journaled) (preferred for spinning drives)

It Must not be (or have been) used for time machine. (A time machine drive can be used if re-formatted)

It should have the 'ignore ownership" checkbox ticked.

It must also not be a network drive (a direct connection is required - eg USB or Thunderbolt).

File sharing services such as iCloud Drive, Drop box, Onedrive etc are not compatible with Photos libraries.

See

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201517

To check use CMD-I on the drive:

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 23, 2021 11:00 PM in response to arnaud226

Hi

Are the external drives correctly set up for using with a photos library? I notice that at least one of your libraries is on an ExFat drive. That is not a compatible location for a photos library, and more recent MacOS versions are much more fussy about this. You will need to move the libraries to a compatible volume, and hope that they have not been unrecoverably damaged.

It must be formatted APFS or MacOS extended (journaled) (preferred for spinning drives)

It Must not be (or have been) used for time machine. (A time machine drive can be used if re-formatted)

It should have the 'ignore ownership" checkbox ticked.

It must also not be a network drive (a direct connection is required - eg USB or Thunderbolt).

File sharing services such as iCloud Drive, Drop box, Onedrive etc are not compatible with Photos libraries.

See

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201517

To check use CMD-I on the drive:

Jul 23, 2021 11:54 PM in response to arnaud226

For an SSD, APFS is recommended. I'm going to state the obvious just in case - you'll need to copy your library somewhere else before reformatting.

The problem with incompatible volumes is they can work - until they don't. Operating the library on one can result in a gradual build up of errors in the library until it eventually stops opening, otherwise malfunctions, or a later OS version decides it can't work with it.

Let's get it on a compatible volume and hope it is not damaged to badly.

Photos libraries issue since Mac update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.