Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac keyboard lock flaw

Hi everyone.

I recently got an 24" iMac (the base model) that comes with the matching colour key board ( not the Touch ID one). After a few days typing on it, I found that I kept accidentally hitting the lock button, which is super easy to press down, logging me out, and it became super annoying. I went to settings and keyboard, to play around with the shortcuts (was hoping to change the lock button to command L or something like in windows), but it seems that the lock key is the only one that cannot be changed. Apple care support was a waste of time. Apparently the Touch ID upgraded version of the keyboard was made to be harder to press down so this doesn't happen, so the designers saw the problem coming as well. My caps lock also seems to be faulty, takes 5 clicks for it to work. It's strange to see this from apple.

cheers,

D

iMac 24″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jul 23, 2021 3:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 15, 2021 6:55 AM

You might want to send Apple feedback about the issue.

Feedback - macOS - Apple

Similar questions

2 replies

Aug 15, 2021 5:55 AM in response to davidstea423

I agree it is an annoying problem. It pushes people to remove or simplify their password which, of course, makes the computer less secure.

For the moment, I've bent a paperclip to (slightly) protect the key. I call him Clippy. "It looks like you're trying desperately to mitigate an obvious design flaw in the iMac keyboard. Can I help you with that?"

Software fix would be to require shift or another key, or a minimum press time (~1second).

iMac keyboard lock flaw

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.