Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I do this with my vehicle

I was just curious if I can track my vehicle with my phone in case it’s taken

iPhone XR, iOS 14

Posted on Jul 23, 2021 10:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2021 12:44 PM

TonyCollinet wrote:

Only if your car has a way of transmitting it's location to your phone.

Or if you put a tracking device into it.

The iPhone has GPS and if you use FindMy app it will locate the phone assuming it it on some sort of network (WiFi, LTE, 5G, etc.).

So if the phone is in the car, you can locate the car.

If the phone is not connected to any sort of network, doesn't matter what sort of device is in the car, you can't locate it unless it is equipped with OnStar (GM) or its equivalent from other manufacturer that is satellite based.

There may be some module that you can buy and a paid service to connect to some sort of network, in which case you need their app to locate the vehicle.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 31, 2021 12:44 PM in response to TonyCollinet

TonyCollinet wrote:

Only if your car has a way of transmitting it's location to your phone.

Or if you put a tracking device into it.

The iPhone has GPS and if you use FindMy app it will locate the phone assuming it it on some sort of network (WiFi, LTE, 5G, etc.).

So if the phone is in the car, you can locate the car.

If the phone is not connected to any sort of network, doesn't matter what sort of device is in the car, you can't locate it unless it is equipped with OnStar (GM) or its equivalent from other manufacturer that is satellite based.

There may be some module that you can buy and a paid service to connect to some sort of network, in which case you need their app to locate the vehicle.

Can I do this with my vehicle

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.