Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 4K will not connect to ethernet and WIFI is not an option in the menu

Hi all,

Suddenly my Apple TV 4K which was always connected to ethernet will not connect.

• It now goes to an IP address of 169... I have corrected manually to be in line with the 192... of the router.
  • Even on manual settings the Apple TV continues to say there is no network, but the router shows it Listed as a connected device.
  • I have tried the Cat cable in other devices and the internet connects to those devices, meaning it is NOT a cable issue.
  • On top of all this, the menu no longer shows a WIFI option even if I disconnect the ethernet cable.
  • Software has the latest update. I did this via the computer but issues persist.

Is the Apple TV connectivity DEAD altogether?!

Thanks for the recommendations in advance.

Apple TV 4K

Posted on Jul 24, 2021 10:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 25, 2021 9:18 AM

Apple TV will assume an ethernet connection if anything is plugged into its ethernet port, and then disable Wi-Fi options in software. If the ethernet port is empty and undamaged, then something else weird is going on. You may want to contact Apple about that.

4 replies

Jul 25, 2021 8:40 AM in response to LMPL

Try restarting your router, to refresh its capability to (re-)connect to devices. “169.254.x.x” signifies a self-assigned IP address, instead if getting one from your router, and that would point to home network issue more often than a device issue. Manual addresses wouldn’t fix the underlying issue.

• Software has the latest update. I did this via the computer but issues persist.

Not sure how you did that, as Apple TV 4K doesn’t have a USB port to connect it to a computer.

Jul 25, 2021 8:59 AM in response to Urquhart1244

Thank you for your help! I messed up and you are right. It is not a 4k it is a 4th gen. I will try to edit my original post if possible.

I have tried it in various routers and the IP address issue persists. Is it possible that it is still a router issue even if I have tried in various ones?

Also, why won't it give me a WIFI option under the menu options? It is stuck on ethernet.

Thank you for any tips that come to mind.

Apple TV 4K will not connect to ethernet and WIFI is not an option in the menu

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.