Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

new MagSafe battery for iPhone 12

Is this new MagSafe battery approved by the FAA to carry on a passenger flight? Can’t find the info anywhere. Thanks.

Posted on Jul 24, 2021 11:32 AM

3 replies

Jul 24, 2021 12:39 PM in response to Axel Foley

Thanks Axel - I had searched in both TSA and FAA, perhaps it’s too new to be on the approved list. The number that’s bugging me is 1460mAh which seems too high for carry on packing. But as it only charges at 15W, I’m thinking it’s fine. I have a jackery bar battery that is rated higher on both counts and never had a problem. I just didn’t want to open if I can’t fly with it as that’s my primary use. One other thing, the package it shipped in said it wasn’t to be shipped on passenger planes, cargo places only, but that’s probably to assure half the hold didn’t have hundreds of lithium batteries with passengers aboard. Appreciate your response!

Jul 24, 2021 1:12 PM in response to rosetb

Actually, the MagSafe Battery Pack only charges with 5W when it is NOT attached to external power at the same time it is attached to the iPhone. If the battery pack is attached to the iPhone and attached to external power then it is 15W of charging. The reason it states that the Battery Pack is not to be shipped on passenger or cargo planes because then it becomes the same as unmonitored checked luggage. As you know, batteries are not allowed in checked luggage. So, the same applies.

I believe that we are on the same page. Thanks for your thoughts as well.

Axel F.

Jul 24, 2021 12:03 PM in response to rosetb

You were probably unable to find anything meaningful on this subject because you were searching under FAA. Try searching with TSA as the keyword instead of FAA.

To answer your question, when dealing with Lithium Batteries, there are special rules for them. Spare (uninstalled) lithium ion and lithium metal batteries must be carried in carry-on baggage only. In other words, yes you can carry the MagSafe Battery Pack attached to your iPhone or in your carry-on luggage. You cannot store it in your checked luggage.

Axel F.

new MagSafe battery for iPhone 12

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.