Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos takes more than 5GB despite images are stored in iCloud

I have used 129 of 200Gb of iCloud storage so there's room to store a lot of data.

Apps using iCloud -> On

I guess Photos uses iPad to store thumbnails but 5Gb seems a lot for me.

What could be taking that amount of space?

iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi, Cellular

Posted on Jul 24, 2021 1:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 24, 2021 10:24 PM

5GB is not a lot however that depends on how many photos you have and what is the actual total size of the Photos library on iCloud. Do you have Optimize iPad Storage set to ON in Settings ➔ Photos ? Double check that setting. If the setting is set to ON and you have more than 50GB of photos on iCloud, then the 5GB of low resolution photos on iPad is normal.

Axel F.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 24, 2021 10:24 PM in response to Daniel Stonek

5GB is not a lot however that depends on how many photos you have and what is the actual total size of the Photos library on iCloud. Do you have Optimize iPad Storage set to ON in Settings ➔ Photos ? Double check that setting. If the setting is set to ON and you have more than 50GB of photos on iCloud, then the 5GB of low resolution photos on iPad is normal.

Axel F.

Photos takes more than 5GB despite images are stored in iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.