Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos on Mac not syncking enhacements from Photos on Ophone

Hi,

I am enhancing pictures directly on my iphone. However, I don't see those enhancements in the Photos app on my Mac. Could you help me out?

Posted on Jul 25, 2021 8:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 26, 2021 1:49 AM

hi Tony

Looks like you were right:-)

i now have the edited pictures also on my iMac.

But i'm facing another problem now: the Photos app has duplicated nearly all pictures on my Mac, and added back some pictures that had been deelted on the Mac but not yet on the iphone. I started with about 8500 pictures on the iphone, and 2000 on the Mac, i'm now facing a 16000 photos library on the imac, and 11000 on the iphone...

any clues on how to solve this instead of deleting duplicates one by one?

thanks for your help

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 26, 2021 1:49 AM in response to TonyCollinet

hi Tony

Looks like you were right:-)

i now have the edited pictures also on my iMac.

But i'm facing another problem now: the Photos app has duplicated nearly all pictures on my Mac, and added back some pictures that had been deelted on the Mac but not yet on the iphone. I started with about 8500 pictures on the iphone, and 2000 on the Mac, i'm now facing a 16000 photos library on the imac, and 11000 on the iphone...

any clues on how to solve this instead of deleting duplicates one by one?

thanks for your help

Jul 26, 2021 7:57 AM in response to TonyCollinet

Hi Tony,

thanks for your time!!

ok, so the situation has evolved a little further now. I believe the syncking process is now complete and the situation is as follows:

-iphone: 16918 photos and 837 videos - updated just now

-Mac: 16899 photos and 837 videos - uploading 29 items (has been updating 29 items for hours now, even when i pause & restart or simply quit the Photos app and relaunch)

icloud: 16900 photos and 837 videos - updated 5 minutes ago

it looks indeed like the duplicated photos are JPG, whereas the original photos are HEIC (those i had edited directly on the iphone) - but not all the time. what is strange is that

• some of the latest pictures that i have edited have been duplicated (with .JPG), but not all.
  • some also have the picture number changed, not just the extension. example:
    • IMG_4644.HEIC and IMG_4644D.JPG
    • 9EEF2C9E-3111-47B6-9695-899600519644.jpg and IMG_4631.JPG
  • some have exatcly the same name and extension, but one has a face identified (IMG_4554.JPG dated July 4 2021)
  • some have a combination (HEIC and no faces versus JPG with face recognized) (IMG_0022.HEIC and IMG_0022.JPG dated Nov 6 2020)
  • some have absolutely all info exactly the same (IMG_4552.JPG dated July 4 2021)

this is as far as I could analyze teh info on the duplicates...

hope this helps.

thanks again for your help

Jul 25, 2021 8:47 AM in response to dpatoulg

So you need to make sure that after the edits are complete, you allow enough time with the photos app open to sync the chagnes to iCloud (wait until the status at the bottom of all photos says "updated just now). If you close the app too soon the edits won't sync to iCloud.

On your mac, you need to then wait for any edits to come down from iCloud. The status should also be "updated just now"

Can you also see if the changes are going to iCloud by logging on at www.iCloud.com. Also are the photos on the phone and the mac/icloud the same type (both jpg, or both HEIC).

Jul 26, 2021 4:44 AM in response to dpatoulg

Can I ask - had you previously transferred pictures to the Mac via USB syncing? Also are you sure there are different numbers on the phone and Mac - iCloud will normally make the libraries identical

Is it possible the sync is still ongoing? (What does the status say on both phone and mac?

If you logon to www.icloud.com how many photos are showing there?

Are the duplicates different file types? (EG one jpg and the other HEIC)

(you can check by selecting them in photos and looking at the info pane with CMD-I)

Jul 26, 2021 12:33 PM in response to dpatoulg

No, it won't. But you can't tackle the issue of duplicates until you got a fully synced library and everything is stable.

Just as a double check on that sync status, can you look to see if you have an "unable to upload" folder. If so are the images in it the ones it thinks it should be uploading.

If not, can you try a smart album with the coniditon: photo-is-unable to upload to iCloud photos.

Jul 27, 2021 7:23 AM in response to TonyCollinet

Hi Tony,

unfortunately, the situation is not evolving:

-iphone: 16926 photos and 837 videos - updated just now

-Mac: 16907 photos and 837 videos - uploading 29 items (has been updating 29 items for over 24 hours)

-icloud: 16908 photos and 837 videos - updated 5 minutes ago

no folder "unable to upload", and suggested smart album empty

thanks

Photos on Mac not syncking enhacements from Photos on Ophone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.