Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro OS drive from a MacPro

I have an i7 2.9 MacBook Pro, mid 2012 NOT Retina. I want to put in a new 1 TB SSD drive. I am having troubles with the terminal createinstall for a USB flash drive and thought doing an install on one of my MacPro trays would be easier anyway.

Are there any issues with going this route? Specific files needed for MacBook Pro vs. MacPro? Specific files needed depending on processors?

My intention is to install new SSD into MacPro 5,1 12-core / install OSX 10.12 Sierra / Remove SSD from MacPro and install in MacBook Pro / update to OSX 10.13.6 High Sierra.

I don't want to fiddle around only because opening the MacBook Pro is a bit more intensive than opening the MacPro

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jul 25, 2021 2:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 25, 2021 4:28 PM

<< Specific files needed for MacBook Pro vs. MacPro? Specific files needed depending on processors? >>

MacOS X after 10.6 Snow Leopard installs everything you could ever need for any appropriate Mac whenever you install macOS. "The right stuff"for your specific machine is loaded at runtime.

Issues you might face are if you try to run MacOS earlier or later than the other machine allows, or you radically change device types (such as Installing NVME type SSD drives only supported in 10.13 High Sierra and subsequent.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 25, 2021 4:28 PM in response to rbbr

<< Specific files needed for MacBook Pro vs. MacPro? Specific files needed depending on processors? >>

MacOS X after 10.6 Snow Leopard installs everything you could ever need for any appropriate Mac whenever you install macOS. "The right stuff"for your specific machine is loaded at runtime.

Issues you might face are if you try to run MacOS earlier or later than the other machine allows, or you radically change device types (such as Installing NVME type SSD drives only supported in 10.13 High Sierra and subsequent.

Jul 25, 2021 4:57 PM in response to rbbr

The Mac Pro 5,1 was released in July 2010.

Its operating system range is Mac OS X 10.6.4 (system specific, and does not support retail 10.6) through 10.14.6 if you have the right graphics card.

The mid-2012 MacBook Pro supports 10.7.5 through 10.15.7.

Any system that they share in common can be used between them from an external hard drive.

You can't install 10.6.4 though on a mid-2012 MacBook Pro.

HFS Extended Journalled runs on all drives up to Mac OS 10.12.6.

APFS is the only format that supports SSD drives starting with 10.13.0.

10.12.6 and earlier booting drives can't see APFS formatted drives if mounted via USB, Thunderbolt, or Firewire, but if they are file shares you can move data over a network.

You don't need to open anything. Target Disk Mode on Firewire or Thunderbolt adapted Firewire can be used between the two machines can be used if the formatting is the same. Hold the T key at startup.

MacBook Pro OS drive from a MacPro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.