Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

older version of an app

I have iPad Air model MD787LL/A (2014). Latest IOS Version on device is 12.5.4. How do I find older versions on an App. Upgraded an App and now is says I can't use it because I don't have IOS Verson 13. Where do I find previous version of an App?

iPad Air Wi-Fi

Posted on Jul 25, 2021 4:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 25, 2021 4:24 PM

You likely cannot. Most developers pull their older versions and only sell the one for the current iOS requirements. The fact that you updated and it installed an incompatible version means there no longer is an older version available in the App Store. That’s just the way most developers maintain their apps - they sell and support the most recent version only, and pull their older versions from distribution.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 25, 2021 4:24 PM in response to Sterling D

You likely cannot. Most developers pull their older versions and only sell the one for the current iOS requirements. The fact that you updated and it installed an incompatible version means there no longer is an older version available in the App Store. That’s just the way most developers maintain their apps - they sell and support the most recent version only, and pull their older versions from distribution.

Jul 25, 2021 4:50 PM in response to Sterling D

There is one last thing you can try/attempt, if you need older versions of apps.

If you own another much newer iOS device that can run iOS/iPadOS 13 and later, you can install the most recent version app/s onto that more recent iOS device.

Then go back to your older iPad, open the iOS App Store, go to the Purchases section of the store app, search for the app/s you wish to try and download to that older iPad and see if an older version of the app is allowed to be downloaded/installed to that older iPad.

These newer iOS/iPadOS devices must use your same Apple ID user account and password.

Failing that OR IF NO joy, then there is nothing more to be done.

It's 2021, now.

If you need/want an iPad with an up to date iPadOS with access to current, updated apps, then you really need to seriously consider a purchase of a new iPad model OR a much, MUCH “newer” and less expensive, refurbished or used iPad models, from better known, trusted sources, like other Apple product/device retailers/resellers, some locally or from online, on the Web/Internet, capable of running the latest iPadOS versions.

There are PLENTY of newer, older iPad models that can run the latest, current versions of iPadOS.

If you need OR ONLY able to purchase older, less expensive iPad models, look at older IPads from 2014 and later.

All of these older model iPads below CAN run the latest iPadOS versions and the up and coming iPadOS 15.

2014, 9,7 inch screen iPad Air 2 models

2015, 7.9 inch screen iPad Mini 4 models

2015-2017, 12.9 inch screen iPad Pro models. ( 1st gen Pencil support )

2016, 9.7 inch screen iPad Pro models ( 1st gen Pencil support )

2017, 9.7 inch screen iPad 5th gen models

2018, 9.7 inch screen iPad 6th gen models (1st gen Pencil support )

2019, 10.2 inch screen iPad 7th gen models ( 1st gen Pencil support )

2020, 10.2 inch screen iPad 8th gen models. ( 1st gen Pencil support )

Get the largest internal data storage model you can afford as NO Apple iOS device has expandable storage.

I am sorry that you had to learn all of this, but this does not change any of the facts regarding these very old iOS devices.

Sorry & Best of Luck to You!

older version of an app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.