Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i’m unable to update my ios it won’t let me like at all

i’ve tried everything to update my ios and it will not let me at all and i’ve tried everything from resetting my phone to resetting my settings for it and it will not work at all

iPhone 11 Pro Max, iOS 14

Posted on Jul 25, 2021 8:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 26, 2021 4:30 PM

brionak4 Said:

"i’m unable to update my ios it won’t let me like at all: It finds and downloads the 14.7 update when connected to my computer but it fails to install. States 'An unknown error occurred (4000)'."

-------

Use this Site: If you See an Error when you Update or Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod - Apple Support

Apple's Server:

This issue is coming up because there are problems connecting to Apple's servers. So, try the following:

A. Start with Updates:

Seeing this error, you are undoubtedly using a Mac. Be certain to create a backup of your Mac prior to all of this. That way, you can have something to restore from the Mac from, should anything go wrong with the update. Once updates, try all of this once more. If using a Windows PC, go to: Windows Update: FAQ | Microsoft Help.

then...

B. Try Safe Mode:

Also, boot in Safe Mode (hold down the shift key, while booting up). Then, try this once more. While in Safe Mode, login items do not open at login, and certain preferences are set aside.

C. Create a New User:

For troubleshooting purposes, try creating a new Administrator User. Seeing if it then works. Once used, simply delete the user.

D. Reset the SMC and NVRAM:

Sometimes changes are made to the system and then settings (i.e. for WiFi) become manipulated, technically.  So, reset both on your Mac.

E. Try Ethernet:

If it keeps disconnecting, try using Ethernet (hardwired-connection), rather than Wi-Fi (Wireless Connection). So, how close are you to the router? If close, then try Ethernet. For a newer Mac, you'd likely need this adapter: Belkin USB-C to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 26, 2021 4:30 PM in response to PPruitt1

brionak4 Said:

"i’m unable to update my ios it won’t let me like at all: It finds and downloads the 14.7 update when connected to my computer but it fails to install. States 'An unknown error occurred (4000)'."

-------

Use this Site: If you See an Error when you Update or Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod - Apple Support

Apple's Server:

This issue is coming up because there are problems connecting to Apple's servers. So, try the following:

A. Start with Updates:

Seeing this error, you are undoubtedly using a Mac. Be certain to create a backup of your Mac prior to all of this. That way, you can have something to restore from the Mac from, should anything go wrong with the update. Once updates, try all of this once more. If using a Windows PC, go to: Windows Update: FAQ | Microsoft Help.

then...

B. Try Safe Mode:

Also, boot in Safe Mode (hold down the shift key, while booting up). Then, try this once more. While in Safe Mode, login items do not open at login, and certain preferences are set aside.

C. Create a New User:

For troubleshooting purposes, try creating a new Administrator User. Seeing if it then works. Once used, simply delete the user.

D. Reset the SMC and NVRAM:

Sometimes changes are made to the system and then settings (i.e. for WiFi) become manipulated, technically.  So, reset both on your Mac.

E. Try Ethernet:

If it keeps disconnecting, try using Ethernet (hardwired-connection), rather than Wi-Fi (Wireless Connection). So, how close are you to the router? If close, then try Ethernet. For a newer Mac, you'd likely need this adapter: Belkin USB-C to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter

Jul 25, 2021 8:34 PM in response to brionak4

brionak4 Said:

"i’m unable to update my ios it won’t let me like at all: i’ve tried everything to update my ios and it will not let me at all and i’ve tried everything from resetting my phone to resetting my settings for it and it will not work at all"

-------

Use a Computer:

Try updating using a computer. Perhaps this is a glitch on Apple's side that needs to be fixed? Go here: Update your iPhone Using a Computer - User Tip

Jul 25, 2021 8:25 PM in response to brionak4

Make sure that your iPhone is setup to meet the following requirements before you attempt to update the iOS version-

• Your iPhone must have a fast Wi-Fi connection; you cannot update over cellular data or a cellular hotspot
  • The iPhone can not be in Low Power mode
  • The battery state of charge must be above 50%
  • Your iPhone must have at least 10GB or more free storage space
  • Your iPhone cannot be connected through VPN
  • You should leave the phone plugged in until it finishes updating, both to assure that it remains above 50% and to keep Wi-Fi enabled (Wi-Fi turns off when the phone sleeps if not connected to power).

Axel F.

Jul 26, 2021 4:41 PM in response to PPruitt1

If you are attempting to update via iTunes on a Windows 10 computer, see this.

Error 4000 is a Windows 10 and iTunes error. Until Apple updates iTunes, you will continue to receive the error if you attempt to update or restore your device in iTunes. A workaround for now is to temporarily disable the passcode on your device, update, then put the passcode back on. The con to this is that it will remove all of your credit cards in Apple Wallet. Another option is to go to Settings>General>Software Update and update from there.

i’m unable to update my ios it won’t let me like at all

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.