Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Air Disk Utility problem

Hi,

so I am having a difficult problem with my laptop. I had accidentally erased the original Macintosh HD drive and I basically can't change or fix anything else like the partition and everything else on Disk Utility. And because of that, I cannot reinstall my macOS since the drive doesn't work (unless I change the volume/partition stuff but I can't because it doesn't let me!). I honestly do not know what to do, my laptop is very old. I think it is the 2014 or 2015 13 inch MacBook Air and I was supposed to give this laptop to my mother (I'm 19 and I just recently bought a computer) but I think I messed this laptop up! 😭

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 26, 2021 12:21 AM

Similar questions

4 replies

Aug 3, 2021 3:58 AM in response to qaisara101

The Age of this computer will Govern what newer version of macOS it will Qualify to install. Use About this Mac from the Apple Icon on Desktop - the required Information will be there.

With the above information in-hand - follow this How to get old versions of macOS and verify what version this computer Qualifies to install. Make sure to use Only Safari to commence the download as Others may not work

Make a Time Machine Backup Before attempting. Notation - Mojave is the Last version to support 32 bit applications / extensions and Drivers. Catalina and Big Sur Only support 64 bit and there is no workaround.

Are there any AntiVirus, Disk Cleaner, Optimizers, Un-installers, etc installed which should be removed as per Developers Instructions. They are useless, unneeded, cause havoc and interfere with the normal operation of the OS and may even Corrupt the OS requiring a Reinstallation

Jul 30, 2021 6:23 PM in response to nat_exo

If you have an Intel Mac, then make sure to select the physical drive to erase. This is especially important if the drive is encrypted or if you are installing macOS 10.12 or earlier since the older macOS is unable to recognize APFS containers and volumes. If you are installing macOS 10.13+, then click "View" within Disk Utility and select "Show All Devices" so that the physical drive appears on the left pane of Disk Utility since recent versions hide the physical drives from view by default. The physical drive should be identified something like "Apple SSD....".

If you are installing macOS 10.6 to 10.10, then instead of erasing the drive you need to first partition & format the physical drive using the instructions in this article:

https://www.owcdigital.com/assets/support/support-formatting-and-migration/Mac_Formatting_6-10.pdf

MacBook Air Disk Utility problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.