Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to fix a migrated iphoto library that says Cannot open

Posted on Jul 26, 2021 10:44 AM

14 replies

Jul 26, 2021 4:25 PM in response to Yer_Man

Thanks for replying Yer_Man.

I have an iPhoto library ( approximately 1275 images) from late December 2014 and early 2015. It was stored on a portable hard drive.

I opened it using control/command found the 2014 individual photos and copied the 150 or so individual images to a Dropbox folder.

when I came back to do the same for the images in 2015, the “show packages contents” no longer allows me to see. “Originals” instead the only folder that contains 2014 and 2015 is “Masters” and when I drill down through the folders the original individual images do not appear. The iPhoto library appears to have been converted to a photos library, and I get a message that it cannot be opened, nor can it be repaired.

Jul 27, 2021 4:37 AM in response to Yer_Man

No, Photos gives the message “Cannot open”

Thanks for trying to help.

I had several separate iPhoto libraries on this hard drive. I was purposefully trying not to open them in Photos so as not to clog my current Photos library. However Photos has tried to open and convert all of them, what a mess. 42,000 images to sort, eliminate duplicates as well slowing everything. Stuffed them all into my system library and won’t let me open any of the originally separate iPhotos libraries.

Aug 23, 2021 2:32 AM in response to Art Harmony

Which version of macOS on the Mac where you are doing this? And what's the format of your portable hard drive, e.g. APFS, Extended Journaled, HFS+, MSDOS (fat 32)/ex FAT etc.? This info may provide a clue to your problems.

If you initiate conversion of an iPhoto library to Photos, and you have more than one iPhoto library, Photos automatically merges them as I recall.

Please also clarify " "show package contents" no longer allows me to see "Originals" instead the only folder that contains 2014 and 2015 is "Masters" and when I drill down through the folders the original individual images do not appear." In iPhoto and older versions of Photos (up to Mojave), the unedited photos were stored in "Masters" folder. In Catalina and Big Sur, they are in "Originals" folder. Are you checking this for the merged, converted Photos library or your old iPhoto ones? Do you still have all iPhoto libraries on the portable hard drive or not?

Aug 23, 2021 3:18 AM in response to arvindfromgurgaon

If you initiate conversion of an iPhoto library to Photos, and you have more than one iPhoto library, Photos automatically merges them as I recall

You don't recall correctly. Photos has no ability to seek out other iPhoto Libraries, nor has it any ability to merge them. Migrating an additional iPhoto library to Photos requires user action, and you get multiple Photos albums as a result.

Sep 28, 2021 1:43 PM in response to Yer_Man

I'm having a similar issue. I have a time machine back up from 2014/2015 that has within it two files-- one is an "iPhoto Library" that is 5gb. The other is a "Photos Library" file that is 6 gb. When I try and open the Photos Library, I get prompted to "switch" libraries. When I say ok, the program just closes and nothing happens. When I try and open the iPhoto Library, I get a message that says cannot open migrated library, but it does say I can use iPhoto to open. I'm trying to download iPhoto as my Mac is a 2017/2018 iMac so it doesn't have iPhoto. I'm very distressed and not sure how I'm going retrieve these photos. I can't even tell what photos are included there as there are no thumbs or view, just the two files above. Can someone help me please?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.