Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Duplicates images in Photos app

I've noticed that my Mac Mini automatically imports photos from my iPhone 11, but when I later plug my iPhone into the Mac (to delete images and clear up space), all of the previously (auto) imported images are still there in the Import All New Items list. If I hit Import (with the Delete after Import option on), I end up with duplicate copies in my Mac photo library.

The issue seems to be that when Photos on the Mac automatically imports images from the iPhone, it doesn't delete them from the iPhone.

Or is it maybe a symptom of the iCloud/My Photo Stream function? Do I have a fouled up preference somewhere? Or am I missing something obvious?

Posted on Jul 26, 2021 2:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 27, 2021 1:59 PM

Photo stream works in both directions. It will also transfer from your phone to your mac.

If you then also import using USB (or any other mehtod - wifi, air drop etc) you are likely to create duplicates - depending on some of your phone settings.

Similar questions

5 replies

Jul 27, 2021 1:25 PM in response to TonyCollinet

Thank you. I guess I don't fully understand the workflow.

Is my iPhone uploading everything it does to the iCloud in the My Photo Stream, and then the Mac is downloading them from the iCloud stream to the local drive, then? (I think I was assuming that Photos on the Mac was pulling them locally from the iPhone either over WiFi or BlueTooth.)

If this is how it's working (up to the Photo Stream via iCloud and then down to the Mac) , what's the proper method to keep my iPhone from filling up with old photos? (Hopefully it's not just manually deleting things.)

Aug 6, 2021 8:55 AM in response to iPapa

And the answers are generally the same:

1 - Don't use different methods of importing photos - EG iCloud, Photostream, USB, Airdrop etc. Pick one and stick to it.

2 - Make sure your phone isn't set to convert the format (eg from HEIC to JPG) on transfer to your mac.

3 - CHECK what is being imported before you click import. You can see if you are importing already imported files.

Duplicates images in Photos app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.