Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IMOVIE for MAC

Asking if support for IMOVIE 12.2.5 will add the compatible camcorder Sony HDR-CX550VE which use to be in the list and now removed. Thanks Nick. +61 411029069 (Mobile)

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jul 26, 2021 11:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 28, 2021 12:43 AM

By "rebuild the OS" do you mean erase the hard drive and do a clean install?

That is something that is often recommended.

Simply automatically upgrading to new operating systems works for most people but sometimes various things can happen that affect apps like FCP X and iMovie.

Wiping the slate clean and starting afresh with an "as-new" computer is always a good idea but remember to backup everything first.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 28, 2021 12:43 AM in response to NickMagpies

By "rebuild the OS" do you mean erase the hard drive and do a clean install?

That is something that is often recommended.

Simply automatically upgrading to new operating systems works for most people but sometimes various things can happen that affect apps like FCP X and iMovie.

Wiping the slate clean and starting afresh with an "as-new" computer is always a good idea but remember to backup everything first.

Jul 27, 2021 12:51 AM in response to NickMagpies

I can't answer specifically about your camera but would like to say that for the last 20 years the "compatible camera list" has been a complete waste of time as there are literally thousands of different models and Apple has neither the time or the will to test more than a handful.

Suffice it to say that most cameras can be used.

If your camera shoots AVCHD on a memory card there should be no problem.

Jul 27, 2021 2:33 AM in response to Ian R. Brown

Yes spot on Ian, as this particular Sony has internal flash and SD and I normally save it direct to ext hdd then import the AVCHD footage into IMovie. The other issue I have is is the AVCHD footage jitters within IMovie 12.2.5 when playing or editing which use to work on the previous IMovie version. Since I updated the OS to Catalina it started causing issues. Thanks.

Jul 27, 2021 9:49 PM in response to Ian R. Brown

Hi Ian, great question. After the jittered video is fully exported and uploaded to Youtube, works normal at 1080p HD. Also my SSD has 700gb available and not full.

A Mac tech just called me after seeing the issue online and recommended to try rebuild the OS as there is maybe corrupt software files.

He said that it’s not my Mac hardware as it has 16gb mem, SSD, I7 quad core and Intel graphics 4000 1.5gb which is ok.

Aug 8, 2021 4:44 PM in response to NickMagpies

Hi Ian, just letting you know after wiping my SSD and rebuilding the laptop with my Time Machine restore, all programs and third party came back perfect with no issues. So after the rebuild my MacBook Pro 9,1 (2012) is on OS Catalina 10.15.7 and using IMOVIE 10.2.5, i imported a fresh video AVCHD from my Sony Cam HDR-CX550VE into IMOVIE and jitters. Has made no difference after the rebuild. So i took the next step and tested the same video into IMOVIE 10.2.3 on my daughters newer MacBook Pro 2018 model and running on OS Big Slur 11.5 and works. This was interesting so to narrow down the problem it has to be the OS difference or compatibility running with IMOVIE. Apple told me that i have enough power to run the AVCHD on my MacBook Pro 2012 that has 16gb men, SSD, I7 quad core processor. Also the bizarre thing is that it use to work on OS High Sierra and once i upgraded to Catalina the problems started.

IMOVIE for MAC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.