Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adding paragraph(s) of text to Preview document.

I want to insert and format text as a paragraph. It seems that for Preview (the macOS app for annotating and adding text, etc. to PDF files) as I have it on my Macs only allows single lines of text that are center justified. this is OK for simple labels for illustrations or figures in the document. It is totally unsuitable for paragraph(s) in a form that I want annotate. HOW do I do this? Please help.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jul 27, 2021 4:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 27, 2021 4:50 PM

As its name suggests, Preview.app is a document preview, not a document authoring application.

It does not have the ability to edit the underlying PDF. Annotations are created as an overlay - you can't reflow a document or correct spelling/punctuation errors, etc.

If you want to edit the document you need a more full-featured authoring application. Depending on the documents in question, TextEdit.app or Pages.app might be better suited.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 27, 2021 4:50 PM in response to prkillian

As its name suggests, Preview.app is a document preview, not a document authoring application.

It does not have the ability to edit the underlying PDF. Annotations are created as an overlay - you can't reflow a document or correct spelling/punctuation errors, etc.

If you want to edit the document you need a more full-featured authoring application. Depending on the documents in question, TextEdit.app or Pages.app might be better suited.

Adding paragraph(s) of text to Preview document.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.