Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Email address fraudulently used to register Apple ID

I've had the same email address for well over a decade. Nobody had it before me. Somehow, someone used my email address to register their own Apple ID way back in 2015. I didn't follow the "verify" link because I didn't request the ID. Fast forward a few years, and I got an iPhone. I tried to set up my own Apple ID, but I can't because somehow somebody named "Ross" managed to register it and I don't know how he answered the security questions!

Am I forever stuck? Do I have to create a whole new Apple ID and just give up on ever being able to use my own email address? How did this even happen in the first place?

Posted on Jul 27, 2021 6:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 27, 2021 6:53 PM

Contact Apple ID Support for assistance.  See the Apple Support articles below for contact information.  

Apple ID - Official Apple Support.   -

Contact Apple for help with Apple ID account security - Apple Support.  *   (Link doesn’t always load)  

Get Support      -    Work through the screens to get a chat option. You may have to pick a slightly different problem.

Apple Support schedule phone call.   -

If necessary, try Twitter

https://twitter.com/AppleSupport.    -          

From the Apple Support article below. 

Without proof of your identity via security questions and other carefully selected criteria, Apple Support can't help you reset a password or perform any other actions on your account. These policies are audited and reviewed on a regular basis.

Security and your Apple ID - Apple Support.      *

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 27, 2021 6:53 PM in response to Kenzie-Glen

Contact Apple ID Support for assistance.  See the Apple Support articles below for contact information.  

Apple ID - Official Apple Support.   -

Contact Apple for help with Apple ID account security - Apple Support.  *   (Link doesn’t always load)  

Get Support      -    Work through the screens to get a chat option. You may have to pick a slightly different problem.

Apple Support schedule phone call.   -

If necessary, try Twitter

https://twitter.com/AppleSupport.    -          

From the Apple Support article below. 

Without proof of your identity via security questions and other carefully selected criteria, Apple Support can't help you reset a password or perform any other actions on your account. These policies are audited and reviewed on a regular basis.

Security and your Apple ID - Apple Support.      *

Jul 27, 2021 6:56 PM in response to Kenzie-Glen

Kenzie-Glen wrote:
Am I forever stuck? Do I have to create a whole new Apple ID and just give up on ever being able to use my own email address? How did this even happen in the first place?

The way it happened is they hacked your email account. Thus they read and followed the verification and thus confirmed the account. They may have been reading your emails for years in this case, if you have never changed the email account login password.

The only way an AppleID gets created is the person setting it up must be able to respond and verify the email address used.

Jul 27, 2021 8:08 PM in response to Kenzie-Glen

Kenzie-Glen wrote:

The password is completely under my control and has been since I got the phone. Since the email address is mine, I can change the password. I can't log in to the website or enable two-factor auth or anything of the sort, though.

Your reply makes no sense. If the password is “completely” under your control, then of course you should be able to login or change settings. If you cannot login nor access the online account settings, then clearly you do not control the account. Someone else does.

If you controlled the account, you’d be able to login online.

Jul 27, 2021 8:19 PM in response to Michael Black

That's possible, but it isn't likely.

I'm a network administrator. I've been working in security for the last couple of decades. I never received any of the follow-up emails that you get after an ID has been verified, but I do still have the original verification request. It's almost as if this "Ross" guy entered his email address incorrectly, realized his mistake, and set up his own account with the correct address. Then, three years later when I set mine up, it picked up the old half-entered state of his submission.

But without access to Apple's signup code base from six years ago, I couldn't tell ya...

Jul 27, 2021 8:33 PM in response to Michael Black

The password isn't the only hurdle to jump to access the account. When I try to log into iCloud on the web, it asks the security questions (possibly because my account had been locked in the past when I forgot my password). When I try to set up two-factor authentication, it asks the security questions. When I try to reset the security questions, you guessed it, it asks the security questions.

Okay. I just tried it again, but this time I canceled out of the security questions. It was showing the security questions because it wanted me to upgrade to TFA, but canceling out let me in. So I CAN get into iCloud on the web, but I can't log in to manage my Apple ID without the security answers.

That doesn't make any sort of sense. I can access all the data but I can't fix the security questions?

Jul 27, 2021 8:43 PM in response to Kenzie-Glen

Again though, you said “I can't log in to the website or enable two-factor auth or anything of the sort, though.” So clearly you don’t control that email account. If you did, you could login into it.

Apple sends just two emails. One is the request to verify, and the second is afterwards, confirming you’ve verified the address. Someone with control of your account could simply delete the confirmation email from Apple.

All you can do is contact Apple support, ask for AppleID security issues and see if you can provide enough information to convince them it’s your email address, and not that of the person using it.

Jul 27, 2021 11:30 PM in response to Michael Black

Apple wants me to enable 2FA when I log into iCloud. I can click out of that and get into iCloud. I can't log into manage my Apple ID without access to the security questions that somebody else set up way back in 2015.

You're suggesting that somebody hacked into my Gmail account, somehow managed to cover their tracks well enough to hide the fact that my account was accessed from a remote location not under my control, and deleted the confirmation email but not the initial request to verify email? All to create an Apple ID for someone that wouldn't own an Apple product for another three years? And then didn't use that Apple ID for any traceable purpose, other than to cause a headache for someone on the off chance that they might purchase an Apple product at some point in the future and have it display the wrong name?

That's weird and highly unlikely.

I have no problems logging in to my Gmail account. I've never had problems logging in to my Gmail account. My Gmail account has never been compromised, and if it had been compromised, I would have far more important problems to worry about than someone being able to register my email for an Apple ID without having access to my email address.

Again, I've had this email address since 2009. I had no Apple products at the time nor did I have a need for an Apple ID until 2018. I have an email in my Gmail account asking me to verify having signed up for an Apple ID in 2015. I never verified. Three years later, I signed up for an Apple ID using my email address. This time, I clicked the "Verify Now". I immediately received a PIN to verify that I owned the email address.

But sure. Let's go with that "hacker" theory. I'll just create a new Apple ID and start from scratch.

Email address fraudulently used to register Apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.