Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Replacement for Classic Apple Menu File Launcher

Where can I find a good replacement for Classic Menu?

Classic Menu was an excellent piece of software made by Sig Software (https://bit.ly/3yfJ25F) that I used as a file launcher before I upgraded from my mid-2012 MacBook Air, running Mojave, to my M1 MacBook Air, running Big Sur.

The beauty of it was that I could navigate to any app, file or folder with a single gesture of the mouse, albeit, by going through a number of menus (if I needed something I hadn't preset). I was able to set up some favorite files and folders for quick access (as you can see by the included screenshots).

After much searching, I still haven't found anything that comes close to the ease and convenience of that piece of software.

A screenshot from Sig Software. I think the last version of the MacOS to be supported was Mojave. Now, I believe, the software is open source for anyone that wants to develop it.

Here is my AppleMenu which included apps, files and folders. I was even able to add dividers to make the menu easier to navigate!

I configured the menu by using aliases that I created, like this:

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.3

Posted on Jul 28, 2021 9:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 28, 2021 11:21 PM

You can set up a similar folder of aliases and drag it to the right side of the Dock. Instead of going to the Apple Menu you go to the Dock.

Also worth considering: Default Folder X

As well as adding fast navigation features to your open dn save dialogues, it puts an icon on the menu bar that allows you to navigate the whole disk, and to create select Folders.

https://www.stclairsoft.com/DefaultFolderX/index.html

Similar questions

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 28, 2021 11:21 PM in response to DavidGrove

You can set up a similar folder of aliases and drag it to the right side of the Dock. Instead of going to the Apple Menu you go to the Dock.

Also worth considering: Default Folder X

As well as adding fast navigation features to your open dn save dialogues, it puts an icon on the menu bar that allows you to navigate the whole disk, and to create select Folders.

https://www.stclairsoft.com/DefaultFolderX/index.html

Sep 1, 2021 1:32 PM in response to dialabrain

I've got a strange thing going on with XMenu and hope someone can suss it out. I used to use Himmelbar and loved it, until Big Sur rendered it obsolete. XMenu feels most like Himmelbar, so I tried that. In XMenu preferences, I want to create a User-Defined entry for the Utilities folder, to work as does the Applications entry for the Applications folder. I made an alias of the Utilities folder and dragged it into user(me)/Library/Application Support/XMenu/Custom according to XMenu's instructions. I checked the "User-Defined" box in prefs, and a star icon appeared in my menu bar. So far, so good. Here's where it gets weird. When I click on the star (user-defined, now "Utilities") menu bar icon, it drops down but only shows about 1/3 of the items in the Utilities folder. Yet in the Finder window (for Library ... Custom, etc) all items are in fact showing in the Utilities alias folder. Somehow, it seems, XMenu isn't seeing everything in the Utilities folder alias. However, if I click on the XMenu "Apps" icon in the menu bar (the circle with a stylized A) and scroll down to the Utilities folder (which lives within the Applications folder), all the enclosed items show up just fine. It seems somehow XMenu isn't seeing the alias correctly. (I tried looking for help on the Devon web site, but couldn't find an answer to this particular strangeness.)

(I don't know why it's showing an iPhone for my account - I'm using a MacBook Pro 2019, running Big Sur.)

Replacement for Classic Apple Menu File Launcher

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.