Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Issue with Caps Lock key causing a processing delay on 2018 MacBook Pro

I began to notice recently that whenever the Caps Lock key is pressed, there's a processing delay that I can tell is happening because I see the spinning wheel appear briefly and I am unable to type (or do anything else). The delay is about half a second. But if I depress the Caps Lock key multiple times in a row, the delay gets strung together and becomes much longer. It's definitely a bug and I need assistance fixing this.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Jul 29, 2021 9:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 29, 2021 9:55 AM

lncook wrote:

I began to notice recently that whenever the Caps Lock key is pressed, there's a processing delay that I can tell is happening because I see the spinning wheel appear briefly and I am unable to type (or do anything else). The delay is about half a second. But if I depress the Caps Lock key multiple times in a row, the delay gets strung together and becomes much longer. It's definitely a bug and I need assistance fixing this.

You can try a safe boot to clear system cache folder as a test.

To trouble shoot further you can:

—Try a SafeBoot https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

If your issue continues file a bug report or submit your Apple Feedback http://www.apple.com/feedback

Similar questions

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 29, 2021 9:55 AM in response to lncook

lncook wrote:

You can try a safe boot to clear system cache folder as a test.

To trouble shoot further you can:

—Try a SafeBoot https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

If your issue continues file a bug report or submit your Apple Feedback http://www.apple.com/feedback

Jul 29, 2021 12:37 PM in response to lncook

lncook wrote:

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.5

Verify you are running the latest update macOS 11.5.1

Update macOS on Mac - Apple Support

Aug 12, 2021 7:55 AM in response to lncook

lncook wrote:

maoragai wrote:
It also happens to me with the caps lock and the volume up and down keys. After restart it solved but after some time it returns.

Is there an expectation to fix the bug in next mac update?

Mac os big sur 11.5

There is a software update as of 8/11/2021 macOS 11.5.2

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

Update macOS on Mac - Apple Support

Aug 10, 2021 11:59 AM in response to DWells4

Here are the things I've done that may have jiggled the handle:

1. Stopped using the Slack app (I was suspicious of this from watching the slack helper process in Activity Monitor)
  2. Rebooted
  3. Still was happening
  4. Rebooted again
  5. No more delays when hitting the CAPS LOCK.
  6. Slack app back in use, no issues there.

It appears that maybe just rebooting a couple times helped? I'll chime back in if things start again.

Aug 3, 2021 12:33 PM in response to leroydouglas

Thank you. I updated to the latest version of macOS and the issue went away. Briefly. As of today, the issue has come back. Whenever the caps lock key is depressed, there is a delay of about 0.5 seconds when the computer freezes and I am unable to type. I have now also noticed that the same issue occurs when I press the volume up or down key either on the keyboard or on my headphones.

Is anyone else noticing this?

Aug 5, 2021 11:39 AM in response to lncook

I'm seeing something similar. Caps Lock seems to be the main culprit where I get a pause and/or spinning color wheel. My pause can last a few seconds. At first I thought it was Slack. I've rebooted and checked Activity Monitor for a strange spike in resources but, thus far, haven't found something obvious.

macOS Big Sur 11.5.1

MacBook Pro 16-inch 2019

i9 2.4GHz

32GB RAM

AMD Radeon Pro 5300M 4GB

Aug 6, 2021 7:25 AM in response to lncook

Having this issue as well. Just reported bug to apple.

I have a MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019). Running macOS Big Sur version 11.5.1.

When I press the caps lock key my computer delays for a few seconds and the spinning wheel comes up. It happens every time. This is extremely irritating. Anyone find a fix yet?

Aug 13, 2021 11:41 AM in response to apl73

I performed the update to 11.5.2 and it cured the caps lock and volume button delay, but now I'm noticing a slight delay when I finish typing and then switch to cursor. The cursor disappears and there's a fraction delay that causes me to "shake" the cursor in order to find it. Is anyone else noticing this? Feels like a hacky bug fix that didn't address the core issue.

Issue with Caps Lock key causing a processing delay on 2018 MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.