You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple introduces powerful new iPad mini built for Apple Intelligence. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

email sent from wrong address

Emails are reflexively sent from wrong address despite having set iCloud as preferred source "default".

Resetting the emails, now routinely to preferred account, before sending still does not reset account iPad choses.

Posted on Jul 29, 2021 10:25 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 29, 2021 10:43 AM

How many email accounts do you have on your iPad? When you get ready to send one of these emails that you are experiencing a problem with, how are you starting this email? The default account for email is designed to send email to anyone when you are outside of the Mail app and/or using another app to generate the email. If you are in email, you would need to be in the default account to send with it, otherwise it would send with whichever mail account you happen to be in at the time. Also, if you create an email and see that the From address is not the account you wish to use, if you tap on that From address, it should give you the option to change the account you wish to use. I'm not sure I understand what you mean by resetting the emails to the preferred account does not reset the account the iPad chooses. Can you explain that?

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 29, 2021 10:43 AM in response to tlfmd

How many email accounts do you have on your iPad? When you get ready to send one of these emails that you are experiencing a problem with, how are you starting this email? The default account for email is designed to send email to anyone when you are outside of the Mail app and/or using another app to generate the email. If you are in email, you would need to be in the default account to send with it, otherwise it would send with whichever mail account you happen to be in at the time. Also, if you create an email and see that the From address is not the account you wish to use, if you tap on that From address, it should give you the option to change the account you wish to use. I'm not sure I understand what you mean by resetting the emails to the preferred account does not reset the account the iPad chooses. Can you explain that?

Jul 29, 2021 4:05 PM in response to tlfmd

Okay, so you have five email accounts listed in Mail. When you check Settings>Mail>Default Account, it lists an account that you no longer use?? Did you delete that account from your device? Now, you did not respond to my question about how you are creating the mail that is getting sent by the wrong account. The next thing to check, go to Settings>Mail>Accounts>Select the account that you are trying to send from, select the account again, then go to Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP) and tap that. It should list the primary SMTP server name, and below that is an area Other SMTP Servers. Is anything listed there?

Jul 30, 2021 10:38 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

1) I leave that account as there are sites that will not allow me to change my email account. I use it as a surveillance. The default account is iCloud.

2) I send email, but as I open or begin a note about to be sent, the wrong account is default entered, I change that quickly.

3) thanks for the pathway to the SMTP outgoing server choice. Not knowing that page before your comment, I was able to change "primary server" to "off" and check the current main as "on"

I wonder why when changing default, that was not automatically changed.

email sent from wrong address

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.