Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installing Rosetta 2 on an M1 iMac

Hi,

I recently reinstalled macOS (Big Sur, latest version) on my iMac as a result of a few issues I was experiencing. After reinstalling my apps, I noticed Intel-based apps in particular were crashing upon open, and the pop-up as shown in this article https://support.apple.com/kb/HT211861 hasn’t appeared once since reinstalling macOS.

Theres also no sign of “Open using Rosetta” in Finder for any of the Intel-based apps I have installed. I can’t seem to find any way to install Rosetta or open Intel-based apps.

The error message that appears when the apps crash also seem to indicate Rosetta is the issue.

Any ideas for a solution, besides reinstalling macOS again?

iMac 24″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Jul 29, 2021 10:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 29, 2021 10:52 AM

I was able to find a great article that allowed me to install Rosetta 2 and use these Intel-based apps as normal with a quick terminal command. https://derflounder.wordpress.com/2020/11/17/installing-rosetta-2-on-apple-silicon-macs/

4 replies

Jul 29, 2021 10:42 AM in response to epic5468

I will hazard a guess here. We are told by Apple that we do not need to install Rosetta unless and until we get a message that it is needed. Apparently, it will then be installed automatically for us. I saw somewhere recently (Sorry, I don't remember where it was) how some apps are shown as Rosetta compliant or not. Those which were compliant would open in either computer, M1 or Intel. I am going to guess that your app's provider thinks they are Rosetta compliant, but they have somehow screwed up. I would check their web site and see what they say. You may want to download a more recent version if one is available. I hope that works for you.

Installing Rosetta 2 on an M1 iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.