Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to install Update iPadOS 14.7.1

Attempting to install iPad update OS 14.7.1 on my iPad Air 2 but after iPad verifies update, I keep getting a message that says "Unable to Install Update / An error occurred installing..." Any clues?

iPad Air 2, iPadOS 13

Posted on Jul 29, 2021 11:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 29, 2021 11:24 AM

Start here:--> If your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch won’t update – Apple Support (UK)

If the issue persists, try to update your device using a computer running iTunes (PC) or iTunes/Finder (Mac).

Regards

GIulio

13 replies

Sep 8, 2021 12:51 AM in response to doegoededingen

Hello,

No, I'm not an Apple employee. You're not addressing Apple here. This is a user-to-user tech support forum and we are just users like you.

That said, if you're sure your iPad Air is a 2nd generation model (you might identify it better by looking at the back cover of your device, and read the "Axxxx" code, where xxxx are four numbers).

An iPad Air 2nd generation model should have one of the following codes: A1566 (wifi only) or A1567 (wifi+cellular).

Should be this case, it should support current iPadOS 14.7.1 version.

But, as you said, if your device is currently running iOS 12.4.1 (a very old operating system version) you might have difficulties to update it wirelessly (via wifi).

That's why I suggested to connect your device to a computer running iTunes (PC) or Finder (Mac), and perform the update procedure that way, as per these instructions:--> Update software on iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch in iTunes on PC - Apple Support, or these:--> Update software on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

If you don't have a computer, borrow one from your friends/neghbors, or (better) ask for help at an Apple Store or Authorized Service Provider.

For any further question, you can contact Apple Support directly, using this link:--> Get Support

Thanks and regards.

Giulio

Sep 8, 2021 3:02 AM in response to ProustGiulio

Many thanks Giulio.

Sorry, I was (still am) just a bit frustrated with Apple and misunderstood the way this forum is used.

Yes, I have the A1566. And the installation package is already downloaded. And there is nothing else on the iPad than just iOS.

Ad 1. (for Apple definitely not for you :) ):

• Why can I not select a version to upgrade to?
  • Why do I need iTunes (I do have a PC, I just do not like installing iTunes just to upgrade my iPad)
  • Why does support not help me via chat or phone (which is the message I see after entering my IMEI)
  • Why does the Apple help page not describe the erroneous situation that I experience?
  • Why does Apple not have employees moderate questions like this to improve their service and leave it to other customers (heroes) like you?
  • Why do I need the storage at my iPad, this is why I am running a few versions behind, with 16GB I always have to remove my main apps first. In my thinking, in theory, if I can install via iTunes this should be possible via the cloud too. The iPad does not know if the external storage used is at my PC or in the cloud?

Kind regards, Wouter

PS So I will wait for the next update and hope that this will install and try the iTunes solution otherwise. Or visit an Apple store but they are not nearby for me.

Sep 6, 2021 9:47 PM in response to ProustGiulio

I’m moving from Windows to IOS but it seems I have to connect my iPad to my windows desktop to update the IOS on the iPad? That sounds odd. I hope I am missing something here. My windows desktop is where I have iTunes installed. 14.7.1 will not install, restart does not help. With update downloaded I have 3.9 GB available storage. I have downloaded the update three times and have deleted the previous download first each time. I happen to be about 100 miles away from my desktop anyway. Any other options to take? I am upgrading from 12.3.1. Do I need to upgrade to older versions first and then incrementally get to 14.7.1? And, will I always need to have second computer available to upgrade iPad going forward? I never needed a second computer to do a Windows upgrade which makes me quite certain this is operator error.

Sep 7, 2021 11:54 PM in response to Mamazabakaka

Can you please provide a more complete answer? It does not help me as it does not cover the issue I have...

My issue is that my ipad air 2 does not update from ipad os 12.4.1 to 14.7.1.

The update is downloaded and ready for installation. On installation, I see "check update" then "Update cannot be installed". This situation is not described at the "Apple recommended" answer... I already removed it and downloaded it again 2 times. I cannot install iTunes. And apparently I am not allowed to chat with support for this device. I already have this issue for some weeks now.

Sep 8, 2021 12:12 AM in response to ProustGiulio

Thanks. Are you an Apple support employee? Can you please provide a more complete answer? The answer does not help me as it does not cover the issue I have...

My issue is that my ipad air 2 does not update from ipad os 12.4.1 to 14.7.1. The update is downloaded and ready for installation. On installation, I see "check update" then "Update cannot be installed". But the second sentence is "Error with the installation of null". (so nothing about a network error). This situation is not described at the "Apple recommended" answer...

I already removed it and downloaded it again 2 times. I cannot install iTunes. And apparently I am not allowed to chat with support for this device. I already have this issue for some weeks now.

Sep 8, 2021 9:07 PM in response to doegoededingen

I just happened to stumble on your problem this evening as I have been having the exact same problem that you described with the same model of Ipad. I had put off the update as I had previous problems and also was shy on the needed space. I had cleared sufficient space to meet the updates needs and it successfully downloaded but it would error out the same was you mentioned. I had unsuccessfully tried restarting and other tricks and I didn't want to connect to Itunes. I finally got it by actually clearing our even more memory and then it ran fine. I was sitting at 27gb used of the 32 with the updated already downloaded. For some reason it still was not enough to let it properly install. I cleared 3 more gig and it went through like a champ. Not sure if it will work for you but worth a try, given how long I also have had this problem.

Unable to install Update iPadOS 14.7.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.