Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is this thing? How can I get rid of it?

Please help. I have this Sleep/Wake up icon appearing on my desktop and when I press "Sleep" it puts little single numbers beside most file names on Finder pages. Most of all what buttons did I inadvertently push to cause this and how do I get rid of it?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Jul 29, 2021 1:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 29, 2021 2:56 PM

It's the floating dictation avatar brought to you by Voice Control. System Preferences > Accessibility > Voice Control panel. If Enable Voice Control is selected, click it again to disable it and kill off that Dictation annoyance on your Desktop.

You can also tell Siri to disable Voice Control and that will do rid you of the Dictation floater quicker than navigating panels in the first paragraph.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 29, 2021 2:56 PM in response to ovelky

It's the floating dictation avatar brought to you by Voice Control. System Preferences > Accessibility > Voice Control panel. If Enable Voice Control is selected, click it again to disable it and kill off that Dictation annoyance on your Desktop.

You can also tell Siri to disable Voice Control and that will do rid you of the Dictation floater quicker than navigating panels in the first paragraph.

What is this thing? How can I get rid of it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.