Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External Hard Drives

Are external hard drives worth it for Macs? I have been looking into buying one for storing pictures and documents. I am a senior in college and I want to start to clean up my Mac and store my old documents somewhere safe. Is an external hard drive worth it? If so, what one do you recommend? I looked into the LaCie Rugged Mini, as this seems to be the best one. Thank you!

Posted on Jul 29, 2021 2:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 29, 2021 3:07 PM

Having external hard drives is essential. You should never trust your files, pics, or anything else to your computer - all hard drives fail at some point - as do SSDs - so unless you have a backup, you may find yourself with the realization that you just lost all of it if you drive fails.

As for which one: buy a good quality one. If you want SSD speed, it is worth it if you will boot from it and/or run your computer from it; if it is just for backups, then a spinning 7200 rpm drive will be fine (and less expensive). Do not get a 5400 rpm drive - it is way too slow.

I prefer the drives they offer at OWC (macsales.com); they are Mac-centric and have quality drives. I've got both some SSD models and sticks as well as 4 of their Mercury Elite Plus drives.

www.macsales.com

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 29, 2021 3:07 PM in response to Mlove4

Having external hard drives is essential. You should never trust your files, pics, or anything else to your computer - all hard drives fail at some point - as do SSDs - so unless you have a backup, you may find yourself with the realization that you just lost all of it if you drive fails.

As for which one: buy a good quality one. If you want SSD speed, it is worth it if you will boot from it and/or run your computer from it; if it is just for backups, then a spinning 7200 rpm drive will be fine (and less expensive). Do not get a 5400 rpm drive - it is way too slow.

I prefer the drives they offer at OWC (macsales.com); they are Mac-centric and have quality drives. I've got both some SSD models and sticks as well as 4 of their Mercury Elite Plus drives.

www.macsales.com

External Hard Drives

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.