Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Files & Folders not inheriting ACL permissions when opened, modified or created in shared SMB in Big Sur

Trying to transfer (upgrade) a shared file server to a new Mac Mini M1 on Big Sur

1- File sharing is gone from Mac Os Server App

So no more Make Inherited Entries Explicit. option!

2- I know I have to change the ACL Value of all those files

different groups have access to different files....

4- I have found this here https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250537136

chmod =a# 0 "thegroup allow list,add_file,search,add_subdirectory,delete_child,readattr,writeattr,readextattr,writeextattr,readsecurity,file_inherit,directory_inherit" BadShare

Would love to chat with Strontium90 to help me understand

And trying to apply it in Big Sur and it's not working.

Here is what I have tried:

Ex: I created a group name: test

created a test folder named: testfld

I used Dropbox to back all the files...

chmod =a# 0 “test allow list,add_file,search,add_subdirectory,delete_child,readattr,writeattr,readextattr,writeextattr,readsecurity,file_inherit,directory_inherit" 

/Users/server/Dropbox/BigBackUp/Testfld

And it does not work

any help would be appreciated

Thank you

Posted on Jul 29, 2021 5:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 30, 2021 10:57 AM

Found my Solution:

Sharing file over SMB and Big Sur

• in Terminal

sudo chmod +a "group:yourgroupname allow readsecurity,readattr,readextattr,list,search,read,execute,writeattr,writeextattr,delete,add_file,add_subdirectory,delete_child,write,append,file_inherit,directory_inherit" DirectoryNameToApplyACLTo

• Copy-paste the above line in a text or in Notes line is longer than appearing above
  • Make sure quotes are Quotes ( " )
  • Try to make your group name without any space, it worked better for me.
  • Drag and drop the folder in the terminal (DirectoryNameToApplyACLTo) to avoid mistakes
  • Make sure there is a space between _inherit" and (DirectoryNameToApplyACLTo)
  • In File Sharing Preference right-click the folder and Apply Permissions to Enclosed items.
  • Test.

Ex:

• groupe name: Test
  • Folder name: Test2

Terminal:

sudo chmod +a "Test allow readsecurity,readattr,readextattr,list,search,read,execute,writeattr,writeextattr,delete,add_file,add_subdirectory,delete_child,write,append,file_inherit,directory_inherit" /Users/Guest/Public/test2 

Thanks to https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/2184048-acls-permissions-and-file-sharing-in-mojave

Thanks to Strontium90 for pointing me in the right direction.

Apple is making it just a little harder than it was on OS 6.5 and a Mac plus!

iTunes is gone

iPhoto also

Searching for a solution on the web used to be easy.

Try searching for a duplicate in Music on Google!!!

or duplicate in Photo on Google!!!

Sharing files was also easy...With OS X Server

With a little sauce, everything finally worked...

I'm sure it will help someone else.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 30, 2021 10:57 AM in response to voycom

Found my Solution:

Sharing file over SMB and Big Sur

• in Terminal

sudo chmod +a "group:yourgroupname allow readsecurity,readattr,readextattr,list,search,read,execute,writeattr,writeextattr,delete,add_file,add_subdirectory,delete_child,write,append,file_inherit,directory_inherit" DirectoryNameToApplyACLTo

• Copy-paste the above line in a text or in Notes line is longer than appearing above
  • Make sure quotes are Quotes ( " )
  • Try to make your group name without any space, it worked better for me.
  • Drag and drop the folder in the terminal (DirectoryNameToApplyACLTo) to avoid mistakes
  • Make sure there is a space between _inherit" and (DirectoryNameToApplyACLTo)
  • In File Sharing Preference right-click the folder and Apply Permissions to Enclosed items.
  • Test.

Ex:

• groupe name: Test
  • Folder name: Test2

Terminal:

sudo chmod +a "Test allow readsecurity,readattr,readextattr,list,search,read,execute,writeattr,writeextattr,delete,add_file,add_subdirectory,delete_child,write,append,file_inherit,directory_inherit" /Users/Guest/Public/test2 

Thanks to https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/2184048-acls-permissions-and-file-sharing-in-mojave

Thanks to Strontium90 for pointing me in the right direction.

Apple is making it just a little harder than it was on OS 6.5 and a Mac plus!

iTunes is gone

iPhoto also

Searching for a solution on the web used to be easy.

Try searching for a duplicate in Music on Google!!!

or duplicate in Photo on Google!!!

Sharing files was also easy...With OS X Server

With a little sauce, everything finally worked...

I'm sure it will help someone else.

Files & Folders not inheriting ACL permissions when opened, modified or created in shared SMB in Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.