Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Convert docx file to doc

What is the recommended way to take a docx file (opened in Pages). I need to convert it to a doc file, for onward use.

As there is now no "save as" doc functionality in Pages, but just an insistance on export as docx (which it started with!), This so that the docx file could be opened by an user with 'open office' product which as yet do not accept docx file (& crash out).

Mac OS X Big Sur v11.5.1

Pages v11.1 (7031.0.102)

Open office v4.1.7

Google Chrome Version 92.0.4515.107 (Official Build) (x86_64)

Macbook Pro 2017

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jul 30, 2021 4:03 PM

10 replies

Jul 30, 2021 4:26 PM in response to terry_nyorks_01

The docx extension arrived in 2007, replacing doc.

LibreOffice can open docx files. https://www.libreoffice.org/

Google Docs and other web services can also read docx files, as can Microsoft Office 365.

There are reportedly some online docx to doc converters, though I’ve not used one.

Update to Apache OpenOffice 4.1.10 and test again, and then report the crash to the OpenOffice folks, too.

Jul 31, 2021 1:00 AM in response to Matti Haveri

Thanks Matti.

What version no of Libre Office do you use.

Looks like the latest Open Office version needs checking. The website says: "All users of Apache OpenOffice 4.1.9 or earlier are strongly advised to upgrade. You can download Apache OpenOffice 4.1.10" One of the links available: here... ...

(The 4.15 in the URL appears NOT to be the version no, but sequential changes of v4)

I'll report back in due course.

Jul 31, 2021 9:48 AM in response to terry_nyorks_01

Besides yourself, I am wondering out loud who maintains a directory structure like this that wastes additional storage space and adds maintenance complexity? I sure don't as when I download LibreOffice v7.1.5, I select Replace when the challenge dialog appears during the installation process and put the new application bundle in /Applications. I can always get past versions of LibreOffice from their website, and thus far, have not needed to do so.

Convert docx file to doc

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.