Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I see my backed up photos

Posted on Jul 30, 2021 5:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 30, 2021 6:17 PM

You have to restore the backup. Restoring from a backup erases all data currently on your device. Any data newer than when the backup was made will be erased. A restore is an all or nothing restore. You can't access a backup to see the contents and only restore certain files.

Backup - Restore your device from an iCloud or iTunes backup.    

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 30, 2021 6:17 PM in response to darleen2262

You have to restore the backup. Restoring from a backup erases all data currently on your device. Any data newer than when the backup was made will be erased. A restore is an all or nothing restore. You can't access a backup to see the contents and only restore certain files.

Backup - Restore your device from an iCloud or iTunes backup.    

Aug 11, 2021 10:28 AM in response to AppleTroglodyte

The backup is separate from syncing photos to iCloud. Backing up won't sync your photos to iCloud.

To sync the photos to iCloud, try  Settings/Your Name/iCloud and slide off Photos syncing. Wait a few minutes and then slide syncing on. Allow time for syncing to occur. The photos sync is extremely slow. It could take several days or more for the photos to sync.  

Last resort - have you tried signing out of iCloud, restarting the device, and then signing back in?

For the backup not completing, see if anything here helps.

Backup couldn’t be completed.   *

Backup couldn’t be completed or you can’t restore.  *

Backup couldn’t be completed or you can’t restore (2).  *

Backup couldn’t be completed or you can’t restore (3).  *

Aug 11, 2021 10:09 AM in response to darleen2262

I'm a super-inexpert user of iCloud and have a lot of treasured photos that are * only * on my iPhone. So it makes me super nervous to read: "Restoring from a backup erases all data currently on your device. " I tried backing up after purchasing more data but the iPhone indicated the backup required 4 more hours -- after leaving it all night. The iPhone also indicates: "iPhone not backed up" with no new photos on my iCloud (accessed through MacBook Pro). Is the backup something that I can get help with at an Apple store?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.