Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS Big Sur 11.5.1(20G80) updated and then photo cannot open photo library nor create a new library

As subject

The photo library has been working fine till the Big Sur just updated.

?bug

Would be very much appreciated for any help!

Thank you very much

Nel_mini2018

Mac mini, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jul 31, 2021 12:51 AM

11 replies

Aug 1, 2021 1:57 PM in response to BReal99

Hi - You are going to have to move the library to a volume with a compatible format.

1 - Backup your existing library. You are going to be copying the whole thing at least twice, and then possibly having a repair run. As a large data structure this will take some time, with a risk of data loss while it is ongoing.

2 - You will need to temporarily copy your library somewhere else WITH A COMPATIBLE FORMAT. This could be your system drive if you have enough space. Or a second external drive (USB or Thunderbolt), which is formatted APFS or MacOS extended (journaled). This might mean you need to buy (or borrow) an additional external drive. If so, you could use the new drive to run the library in the future, saving yourself one pass of copying the library.

3 - Reformat the external drive using disk utility. Again APFS (suggested for SSD) or MacOS Extended (journaled) (preferred for spinning drives). Do not use Case Sensitive. Be especially carful to choose the correct drive to format. Formatting completely and un-recoverably erases the contents, so you don't want to format the wrong one. Ideally unplug all other external drives, and make sure the drive you are formatting is in the external section of disk utility.

4 - Copy the library from the temporary storage to the newly formatted external drive. (You can skip this if you are going to leave it on the new external drive)

5 - Open the library on it's new home by holding the option key while starting photos. Go to photos preferences, and click the "use as system photo library" button.

Read also:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201517

Jul 31, 2021 1:21 AM in response to Nel_mini2018

What exactly happens, when you try to open the library? Do you get an error message? If yes, which message?

Where is your Photos Library stored? On an external volume or in your Pictures folder?

What happens when you try to create a new library? Where does it go wrong?

Are you launching Photos by clicking the the Photos icon in Applications, or are you using an alias on the Desktop or in the Dock? Try to launch Photos by clicking the app directly in the Applications folder, so you can be sure to launch the version installed by the system upgrade and not an outdated link.

Jul 31, 2021 9:17 AM in response to léonie

What exactly happens, when you try to open the library?

Ans:

1 - As soon as I finished the OS update.

2 - I restarted the Mac mini again. I try to open library straight after it started up. Failed to open photo library.

Do you get an error message? If yes, which message?

Ans:

The library could not be opened.

The Photos was unable to open the library “Photos Library 2002”. (4302)

Quit or Open Other

Then

No matter I create a new photo library or open an old one. Fail and the message is:

PHPhotosErrorInvalidState

Where is your Photos Library stored? On an external volume or in your Pictures folder?

Ans:

External volume and it was fine before OS update

What happens when you try to create a new library? Where does it go wrong?

Ans:

No matter I create a new photo library or open an old one. Fail and the message is:

PHPhotosErrorInvalidState

Are you launching Photos by clicking the the Photos icon in Applications, or are you using an alias on the Desktop or in the Dock?

Ans:

I always launch Photos by clicking the icon in the Dock.

Try to launch Photos by clicking the app directly in the Applications folder, so you can be sure to launch the version installed by the system upgrade and not an outdated link.

Ans:

I just tried the photos icon in Applications. Again, fail same way.

Very regretted that I never use the time machine. Would be very appreciated if some advise or instruction could be given. I stored my last 10 years of photos in the Photos!

Aug 1, 2021 11:02 AM in response to BReal99

Hi

I've seen reports from quite a number of people now that 11.5 will no longer open photos libraries on ExFat (and probably other incompatible) formats. Although inconvenient right now it is probably a good thing for the long term as it will force people to use a compatible format, and eliminate the risk of any further damage building up in the library.

Aug 13, 2021 7:05 AM in response to TonyCollinet

So the solution is to backup the data? Well first of all it's extremely slow at reading my harddrive so trying to backup 1.2tb has been extremely painful. I've been uploading my data to the cloud (strong arming me into paying for 2tb of storage) and in the process many of my files have disappeared and/or become corrupt. I have spent about 40 hours dealing with this and it's become an utter joke.

Do you have a solution to recovered/fix my files, tried Disk Drill and it's literally warned me my harddrive is on the verge of breaking? Apple has seriously disappointed this time and I'm not sure why they've done this!

macOS Big Sur 11.5.1(20G80) updated and then photo cannot open photo library nor create a new library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.