Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Email trash settings on Big Sur

I sent some emails to Trash but needed to retrieve one. When I went to the trash icon there were NO emails at all so I could not retrieve the one email. Where did they go? What setting do I need to change so emails remain in Trash until prompted to delete.

Posted on Jul 31, 2021 6:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2021 7:26 AM

While in Apple Mail >> Preferences >> Accounts >> tab " Mailbox Behaviour " and down lower is Delete After and choose what you want.

If the missing email is on an iCloud Account - login to www.icloud.com with Apple ID and password >> Mail cand check if the message is still there. Depending on how long ago it was deleted, it maybe retrieved.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 31, 2021 7:26 AM in response to MacMike69

While in Apple Mail >> Preferences >> Accounts >> tab " Mailbox Behaviour " and down lower is Delete After and choose what you want.

If the missing email is on an iCloud Account - login to www.icloud.com with Apple ID and password >> Mail cand check if the message is still there. Depending on how long ago it was deleted, it maybe retrieved.

Jul 31, 2021 7:38 AM in response to MacMike69

MacMike69 wrote:

I sent some emails to Trash but needed to retrieve one. When I went to the trash icon there were NO emails at all so I could not retrieve the one email. Where did they go? What setting do I need to change so emails remain in Trash until prompted to delete.

Make changes to your Mail>Preferences

Mail User Guide - Apple Support

Aug 12, 2021 10:14 AM in response to leroydouglas

I have the same problem with disappearing trashed emails. My settings are, and always have been as you describe above. There are emails that I sent to trash from a week ago that still reside in the trash folder, but none that I sent there in the last few days. Apple Mail seems to have a mind of its own, and goes against my chosen settings. Any clues ?

Email trash settings on Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.