Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone won’t unlock Apple Watch on first attempt but always does it second attempt

my Apple Watch will not unlock when I open my iPhone but it always does when I do it twice like turn it off and back on again then the watch unlocks but never the first time any ideas why as by the time you close your phone and open it again to make the watch unlock its quicker to use the passcode on the watch, any ideas why it’s not opening on the watch first time

Posted on Jul 31, 2021 2:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 1, 2021 9:04 AM

Turn off "Unlock with Apple Watch" under iPhone settings -> Face ID & Passcode (for touch ID, it may be slightly different title).

This is a bug, and Apple will most likely issue an update in the next few days/weeks.

If you want both, you may be able to do the following dance (assuming you have Face ID; not sure if this will work for Finger Print Reader iPhones):

o iPhone screen blank (screen off)

o Raise Apple Watch until the numeric passcode unlock screen appears.

o Then immediately wake the iPhone and unlock it.

If you wake the iPhone too early, it will not work.

If you wait too long to wake and unlock the iPhone, it will not work.

NOTE: You may find suggestions to Unpair and pair the Apple Watch again. This ONLY appears to work, because that turns off "Unlock with Apple Watch". It a lot of work, to turn off the option you can do yourself in just a few seconds.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 1, 2021 9:04 AM in response to Trev wealthall

Turn off "Unlock with Apple Watch" under iPhone settings -> Face ID & Passcode (for touch ID, it may be slightly different title).

This is a bug, and Apple will most likely issue an update in the next few days/weeks.

If you want both, you may be able to do the following dance (assuming you have Face ID; not sure if this will work for Finger Print Reader iPhones):

o iPhone screen blank (screen off)

o Raise Apple Watch until the numeric passcode unlock screen appears.

o Then immediately wake the iPhone and unlock it.

If you wake the iPhone too early, it will not work.

If you wait too long to wake and unlock the iPhone, it will not work.

NOTE: You may find suggestions to Unpair and pair the Apple Watch again. This ONLY appears to work, because that turns off "Unlock with Apple Watch". It a lot of work, to turn off the option you can do yourself in just a few seconds.

iPhone won’t unlock Apple Watch on first attempt but always does it second attempt

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.