Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I delete an alias account

Posted on Jul 31, 2021 3:31 PM

6 replies

Aug 3, 2021 11:35 PM in response to astria34

astria34 wrote:

Click Accounts. Select the alias in the Addresses list, then do any of the following: Turn off an alias: Select “Disable alias.” Delete an alias: Click Delete.

That disables an email alias - it does not disable the alternative versions of the primary address. The link you post is completely irrelevant and is to a supposed speed test site.

[Link Edited by Moderator]

Aug 3, 2021 2:19 PM in response to davemarieflagaz

Apple has instructions on their website that you can disable or delete an alias but the instructions are super outdated and none of those options exist in either iMail or iCloud Mail anymore. I'm trying to do the same thing because some scammer with my same name has just started using my @me email and I get the joy of seeing all of their purchases and private information. I'm so tired of it, I just want it to go away but none of the Senior tech staff can even help. None of the people I've spoken to at Apple know how to fix this.

Aug 3, 2021 2:35 PM in response to mcbooklovin

Apple's terminology causes confusion. Email aliases are additional addresses (not accounts) which deliver into the inbox alongside the email address you originally created: these can be deleted.

Your main address, the @icloud.com address, has additional variants if you've been a member long enough: an @me.com version if you were a member of MobileMe, and and @mac.com version if you were a member of DotMac: these have the same text before the @ as the iCloud address and unfortunately Apple refers to them as aliases, which is strictly true but gets muddled up with the email aliases.

Unfortunately you can't delete these variants as they are all in effect the same address. What you have is a not uncommon situation - some idiot has decided, with no justification whatever, that he owns the @me.com version of your address. It sounds bizzare, but it does happen from time to time. Consequently when he uses it to make purchases you get the responding emails (and he doesn't - he can't access your account).

All I can advise is to set up a Rule in the Mail page at icloud.com to move all such messages to the Trash, from where they will be automatically deleted after 7 days. To set up a Rule go to the Mail page on the iCloud website, click the cogwheel icon at bottom left, and choose Rules.

Aug 3, 2021 4:01 PM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Thanks for writing back quickly. It's super frustrating because I already do that. I sincerely believe this person is doing shady business, though because I will log in and have 800 new emails. Even with all the filtering they just subscribe to new things and apply for more loans. I just don't trust Apple's mail clients anymore. I'm going to just stop using it altogether. I do really wish that I could just take the id off my account. It's such a bummer that Apple won't even let you change or remove an alias anymore. There are a lot of customers who are impacted by this and it makes Apple look janky.

My solution was to do an automatic reply that the person who is using the email is not to be trusted and is using another person's email without permission to conduct business.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.