Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV will not turn on. No red light on the box.

Apple TV will not turn on. No red light

Posted on Aug 1, 2021 9:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 1, 2021 10:13 AM

What is your model Apple TV? Identify your Apple TV model - Apple Support

I believe the color of the status light is white on all but the original 1st generation? The light woud be off in sleep mode, and glow continuously when in use.

Disconnect from power, then reconnect. The Apple TV should now start up and have a visible glowing status light, initially flashing during the startup sequence, then continuously glowing.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 1, 2021 10:13 AM in response to Emcat62

What is your model Apple TV? Identify your Apple TV model - Apple Support

I believe the color of the status light is white on all but the original 1st generation? The light woud be off in sleep mode, and glow continuously when in use.

Disconnect from power, then reconnect. The Apple TV should now start up and have a visible glowing status light, initially flashing during the startup sequence, then continuously glowing.

Aug 1, 2021 6:03 PM in response to Emcat62

A1625, that appears to be an Apple TV HD (4th Generation).

Unplugging it extra long doesn’t make a difference over a minute or two.

Set up your Apple TV - Apple Support

• Plug it in for power with the C7 power cord.
  • Plug it in through HDMI for the connection to the TV.

• Use the USB‑C port only for service and support, i.e. restoring the system software, as described here: Restore your Apple TV - Apple Support. Notice how it requires powering the unit at a certain point. Notice how it requires an USB cable that supports data transfer (charging cables from other devices typically do not support data transfer).

If it doesn’t take power at all, then the internal power supply may be defective. Did it suffer from a lightning storm or other power grid spike? Then it may be irreparable.

Did you buy it new? Did you buy it from someone else? Have you seen it in working condition?

Apple TV will not turn on. No red light on the box.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.