Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro - Keyboard Backlight will not turn on past the login screen

Device: MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2019)

Running on Big Sur 11.5.1

When I shut down my computer and restart it, the backlight is on but right after I login I can't turn it on again. Not with function keys, touchbar, or Control Center -> Keyboard Brightness. When I try adjusting the brightness in the control center it just snaps back to off.

I took my laptop to the apple store where they tried troubleshooting it but they told me I would need to back up my device and drop it off at the store. I thought my issue was fixed when I let my laptop die and the backlight worked for multiple weeks. Now I'm back to the same issue, its not broken but just wont turn on past logging in.

Also, its worth noting that on my computer I don't have the option for "Adjust Keyboard brightness in low light" toggle, I see many forums point to this option but I don't think my problem is an issue with lighting.

If anyone else was able to fix this issue, let me know, it seems like it might be somewhat common on 2019 macbooks.

Posted on Aug 1, 2021 12:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 1, 2021 6:41 PM

The troubleshooting steps that I am about to list have probably been executed either by you or by the Apple Store. You can try the following steps again and if none of those work then you will be referred back to the Apple Store.

1. Reset SMC by following the directions applicable to your MacBook here ➔ How to Reset SMC. If that does not solve things then-
  2. Reset NVRAM/PRAM by following the directions applicable to your MacBook here ➔ How to Reset NVRAM/PRAM. If that does not solve things then-
  3. Enter ➔ Safe Mode and see if the keyboard lighting issue still exists in Safe mode. Log out of Safe Mode and then reboot computer. If that does not solve things then-
  4. Finally if none of the above works then you can enter ➔ macOS Recovery Mode and reinstall the macOS and see if that solves it.

Thats all I have for now. Beyond the above recommendations, You can have your MacBook Pro examined at the Apple Store or an Authorized Service Center when they open or contact ➔ Apple Support

Axel F.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 1, 2021 6:41 PM in response to NGENTZ

The troubleshooting steps that I am about to list have probably been executed either by you or by the Apple Store. You can try the following steps again and if none of those work then you will be referred back to the Apple Store.

1. Reset SMC by following the directions applicable to your MacBook here ➔ How to Reset SMC. If that does not solve things then-
  2. Reset NVRAM/PRAM by following the directions applicable to your MacBook here ➔ How to Reset NVRAM/PRAM. If that does not solve things then-
  3. Enter ➔ Safe Mode and see if the keyboard lighting issue still exists in Safe mode. Log out of Safe Mode and then reboot computer. If that does not solve things then-
  4. Finally if none of the above works then you can enter ➔ macOS Recovery Mode and reinstall the macOS and see if that solves it.

Thats all I have for now. Beyond the above recommendations, You can have your MacBook Pro examined at the Apple Store or an Authorized Service Center when they open or contact ➔ Apple Support

Axel F.

Aug 9, 2021 9:41 AM in response to NGENTZ

I have the same issue with my keyboard backlight. No option "Adjust Keyboard brightness in low light". I have wiped my drive several times and reinstalled Big Sur. I have done the SMC reset and NVRAM, created a new admin user and still the same issue. I am bring my macbook to the Genius bar later this week. Such a weird issue! Why is it on when I restart and once I log in the keyboard back light turns off. All other F button functions work just fine.

MacBook Pro - Keyboard Backlight will not turn on past the login screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.