Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPadOS 14.7.1 Download Failure

I have been attempting to update my iPad to the current OS. I have tried over the air on wifi over 20 times. This update completed fine on my iPhone.

”Preparing Update” gets to over 90% on the progress bar and gives this message:

Software Update Failed - An error occurred downloading iPadOS 14.7.1

i have tried at all times of day and after hard restarts and always with 100% battery connected to power.

Current Device - iPad Air 2, iPadOS 14.6, 128GB (68GB available). Strong WiFi ~450MB down speed to iPad.

I do not have access to a computer to try the iTunes route. I can hope for a next update that might work or seek out a Genius appointment.

if anyone knows of something I can look for in the Analytics Data Log or other tips, please advise.

iPad, iOS 9

Posted on Aug 1, 2021 1:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply
3 replies

Aug 6, 2021 7:54 PM in response to litomachete

Error 4000 is a Windows 10 and iTunes error. Until Apple updates iTunes, you will continue to receive the error if you attempt to update or restore your device in iTunes. A workaround for now is to temporarily disable the passcode on your device, update, then put the passcode back on. The con to this is that it will remove all of your credit cards in Apple Wallet. Another option is to go to Settings>General>Software Update and update from there.

iPadOS 14.7.1 Download Failure

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.