Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Would removing a device delete the backup on iCloud for it?

The new iPad won’t be arriving for another week, but I’d like to sell (or give away) an older iPad Pro device. It has been backed up onto iCloud.

Could I (1) Reset all Content and Setting, (2) Remove the device from my Apple/iCloud account, and later setup my new iPad device using the backup on iCloud?

I am concerned that removing this device will delete the backup of it.

iPad Pro 10.5-inch, Wi-Fi, Cellular

Posted on Aug 1, 2021 3:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 1, 2021 4:52 PM

You can do all of the steps in What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support and it will not remove an iCloud Backup and it will not affect any data synced with iCloud (e.g., iCloud Photos, Contacts etc).

After you have set up your new iPad and no longer need the backup of the old iPad, you can delete the backup. See information in Manage your iCloud storage - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 1, 2021 4:52 PM in response to AsterDaisy

You can do all of the steps in What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support and it will not remove an iCloud Backup and it will not affect any data synced with iCloud (e.g., iCloud Photos, Contacts etc).

After you have set up your new iPad and no longer need the backup of the old iPad, you can delete the backup. See information in Manage your iCloud storage - Apple Support

Would removing a device delete the backup on iCloud for it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.